Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, hope someone could answer me because I’m a student/worker and this car is all I have that is saving me from going broke.
So it’s been like a year that I have a bit of oil in my coolant reservoir, I check it regularly and try cleaning the oil on the top (which is useless), it’s been 3 months that after 5 minutes of driving I notice some smoke with burnt oil odor coming from under the hood, opening the hood I noticed it comes from under the exhaust manifold and when my car is parked I see some oil spots under it. today my mechanic called me and asked me to come and take the car because of head gasket failure and that the work will costs more than my car’s price…
I am not sure about it, doing my own research it comes from another gasket that is in the oil cooler part since I don’t see any coolant in my oil and no strange smokes from the exhaust no over heating etc.
reading online I have found that the oil cooler gasket failure is common in Opel Astra H model, my question is:
Should I go to another mechanic?
Does the failure of the oil cooler gasket brings the car to head gasket failure ?
Or changing the oil cooler part brings the mechanic to open or work on the head or head gasket ?

my car is an Opel Astra H Station Wagon
Z16XER petrol.
any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like the oil cooler if your handy its easy enuf to do, bit of faffin about to get to it but doable.the gasket kit is about 15 euros
thank you for your response! but is there anyway that this problem could lead to head gasket failure ? my mechanic told me that it’s the head gasket even if I only have the oil cooler symptoms and none of the head gasket symptoms…

·
Registered
389 Posts
get the mechanic to do the sniff test if he has the stuff but from my own expwrience i had the coolant leak and no oil leak ,the oil cooler sits behind your manifold its silver and is part of your oil filter housing .

·
Registered
34 Posts
thank you for your response! but is there anyway that this problem could lead to head gasket failure ? my mechanic told me that it’s the head gasket even if I only have the oil cooler symptoms and none of the head gasket symptoms…
Replacing an oil cooler or the internal gasket is cheaper than doing a head gasket. So you may as well do the oil cooler gasket as it's worth only a few dollars, plus new coolant, engine oil and labour. If the problem still persists then it's a head gasket problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts