Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the astra is in need of some tlc.

Just come back from Wales and the slight clunking noise I had before I went is getting worse.

the car went to vauxhall and they maintain nothing is wrong.

So a few things - I think its DMF and possibly gearbox as I had a similar noise on my m32 gearbox way back in the corsa.

So if I accelerate and then take my foot off the accelartor I get a clunk noise - reading online this could be dmf getting a bit loose possibly - anyone had a dmf need replacing yet on the J - I asked vauxhall they said about £800. They couldn't hear the clunking but it sa noise I have never had before.

Secondly gearbox - well hoping it isn't - I get like a whisteling noise when holding the accelearator steady to maintain speed say at 70 on motorway. Its evident in gears 3, 4, 5, 6. THis happens at 30 in third. I am guessing gearbox whine - or could it be linked to the water pump? Would that make a noise if that wa son the blink?

Sorry I am hopeless with cars. I know a few vxr boys had issues with the f40 gearbox but haven't heard of it with the 2.0 cdti

·
3,891 Posts
The only time I can recall a DMF issue on a 2.0CDTI was back a couple of years or more ago when a member on here had to have theirs replaced iirc. Can't remember the name of the member offhand, but the car had lots of mods (inc power enhancing mods) and was driven hard I think, hence early failure.

As you probably know, the M32 gearbox is notorious for bearing failure (but less so with the modified version in the Astra J), but the F40 is more than capable of the torque and power so doesn't have many problems.

The whining noise could be coming from all sorts of things. Can you replicate it when the car is standing still with the same sort of revs on? Try in neutral and also in gear with the clutch down.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only time I can recall a DMF issue on a 2.0CDTI was back a couple of years or more ago when a member on here had to have theirs replaced iirc. Can't remember the name of the member offhand, but the car had lots of mods (inc power enhancing mods) and was driven hard I think, hence early failure.

As you probably know, the M32 gearbox is notorious for bearing failure (but less so with the modified version in the Astra J), but the F40 is more than capable of the torque and power so doesn't have many problems.

The whining noise could be coming from all sorts of things. Can you replicate it when the car is standing still with the same sort of revs on? Try in neutral and also in gear with the clutch down.
Car has never been mapped but used a lot in town.

Car has a very slight whine in neutral but I would put that down to general engine noise.

WIth my foot on the accelerator keeping a contstant speed is really the only time it does it, I don't notice it accelerating but due to 19 inch alloys and general road noise not really noticed it.

Cam belt is in need of a change - I believe these are 5 years 60k miles. Car is 5 years old done 51k.

It just seems like gearbox again pretty much same symptoms I had on the corsa - maybe I just can't drive!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts