Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a noise/bearing noise
Only happens when setting off a friend told me it was the pulleys so i took belt off and gave it a run and the noise had gone ..so i replaced the idle and tensioner put back together and the noise is still there ..its painfully hard to diagnose as it only happens when moving ..its something on the aux belt line as it went with the belt off..i dont want to replqce the air con alt etc by guessing help please
Astra h 1.7 cdti ecoflex air con model 120hp

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How would i isolate the fault so i only need to change one ..
Problem i have is making no noise until it moves

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Use a big screwdriver on the top of the compressor like a stethoscope , can use the same on the alternator tho iirc it’s underneath as it is on my 1.7 tho mines the 100 bhp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah i cant as it only happens when the car is moving ..i cant get the noise to replicate when stood still..
Makes me think its something that has its own clutch mechanism ..maybe the ac works this way ?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Hi
Doesn't the alternator on the 1.7 diesel have a vacuum pump on the back of it. I don't know a great deal about diesels, so may be a red herring. The vac pump presumably comes under load when your running to charge the brake servo.
Screenshot_20191203-203430_eBay.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No it always does it at like 2500 rpm
No matter what gear unless you are stationary then it wont ...i was convinced it was pulleys as taking the belt of eliminated the noise ..
Its hard to describe but does sound like a bearing noise/rattle ...when removing the belt i checked all the wheels and they all seem fine ...
And yes i do believe it is a alt/vac on this model

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive been trying all morning to locate and i think ive isolated it to the air con pump .....
I think it may be the air con clutch
It makes the squeak when i start it up for a second so that helped me locate ..
How hard is the ac clutch bearing to change ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
There's a one way clutch on the alternator drive pulley. When this wears it can lead to a lot of noise. It's replaceable with the need to replace the complete alternator.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It sounds like its coming from the ac pump , but it is hard to be sure as it happens for a split second on start and then when hitting 2500 rpm moving any gear...i have taken the clutch off the ac and still the same im putting wd 40 on the circlip behind in hope to get some on bearing still no change

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does having the AC selected ON or OFF make any difference to the noise, since there should be no load on the AC pump if it’s selected OFF

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Does having the AC selected ON or OFF make any difference to the noise, since there should be no load on the AC pump if it’s selected OFF
Pulley will still turn reguardless of the AC being on or not, so the problem will still be there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
My thoughts were that if there was a change in the noise between the AC being selected off or on, then this might help determine whether the AC load made a difference or not on the freewheeling pulley if that is where the noise is in fact coming from?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes you are correct it did seem to make a difference , so i put the belt around the alt alone applied pressure and i found my squeek ..
Looks like i need a new alt , looks a real **** to change too

1 - 20 of 26 Posts