Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. Having problem with my astra 2000 model. It’s like it’s misfiring, there appears to be a lot of water sitting in the end of exhaust pipe, even after engine has been hot driving for over an hour.

Not blowing smoke, haven’t checked if it’s steamy on hand yet.

Replaced spark plugs brand new, coil pack is only few years old, removed fuel injectors and cleaned them up and filter basket don’t appear to be clogged. Have flushed the fuel line out about 5 times over course of few weeks. Fuel pump is about two yrs old, fuel tank appears clean with no sediment. Replaced fuel filter new. Tried a second hand coil pack, seemed to run worse, put one back on.

Waiting on new ignition coil pack to arrive I purchased yesterday special order.

Did a compression test on cylinders, no.2 was a bit higher at 215, 2nd test was 205, others were each 195. Suspect no. 2 had I burnt fuel causing higher compression. Check if sparks coming from coil pack, was sparking well.

I hadn’t done anything to the vehicle in months prior to issue developing. Have had the codes cleared with a diagnostic tool, they came back.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Have you carried out a sniff test to see if there are hydrocarbons in the coolant?

Might be early signs of a head gasket leak, and the coolant is causing the misfire, along with the water at the exhaust pipe end.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you carried out a sniff test to see if there are hydrocarbons in the coolant?

Might be early signs of a head gasket leak, and the coolant is causing the misfire, along with the water at the exhaust pipe end.
All good there. Had checked the head gasket when was doing the compression test, also had fitted gasket only a year or two ago, it appears to be in good order.

Have put brand new coil pack on and new spark plugs few days ago.

I’ve since realised the code from a scanner being p0202-4 is circuitry related and associated to the no. 2 injector earth not having a current, having confirmed with test light no 2 injector harness earth wire back inside the Efi harness plug that goes on the ecu.

I had a 2nd incomplete Efi harness (missing most connectors but had the ecu plug) that we used to test the no2 earth wire and also showed no current, managed to get myself a third (2nd hand) complete Efi injector harness. Then used a noid testing light on the no2 injector plug, displayed no current but the other injector circuits had current, so points to issue being in the ECU.

I had got a second hand ecu from the wreckors, but realised later on it must be from a different later model astra, perhaps an AH, rather than a 2000 ts G. My mechanic friend was wanting to use the spare (incorrect) ecu with just the ecu plug and the connector with the power to conduct noid light test on the no 2 circuit, however both of us are not automotive electricians and I opted to take a precautionary approach incase it could harm the vehicles sensors or other electronics.

I’m thinking if the spare (2nd hand) ecu is working well and we only connected the Efi plug to the ecu and the connector that provides the power, then noticed working injector circuits with noid tests, this could help confirm whether my ecu had the fault.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts