Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say how nice and EASY this simple mod is, cheap and definitely looks good!

I suggest anyone who hasn't done it to do it :) -- picture taken in daylight!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348326841.729337.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
hi mate what bulbs did you use and have they put a check bulb on your display

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know what I didn't even check my dashboard but will do tonight and let you know ...

And one didn't work for me at first either but I just rotated it and put it in the other way..

Got them from ..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348332082.152456.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've tried two sets as number plate lights and none have worked each set work fine as side lights which is odd.
All sets are canbus led's.
Just copied this off bulb description

"Please note since LED Bulbs have + and - terminals, if there is no lighting after inserting it into socket, just simply change the terminal oppositely."

Hope that works!

·
Registered
232 Posts
501, W5W.
Headlamp pilot light x 2, side indicator x 2, number plate light x 2, roof front map reading light x 2, roof rear courtesy light x 2.
Be careful with the roof rear courtesy lights, the holders are not designed to work with LED type bulbs, they short circuit very easily due to the shape of the bulb retaining/contact clips.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Quick fix, long nosed pliers, bend the side of the clip outwards so it can not contact the other side of the bulb.
Not so quick fix, for those who have the time and passion. The old glass bulbs had a single wire at each side of the bulb so were not affected. The LEDs have a broad flat contact area that reaches right to the side edge of the bulb, it is this which arcs on to the L shaped holder contacts. With a small (Warding/nail File) file, put a 45 degree chamfer on the side of the bulb contact area. Only has to be 1/2 mm deep. This will separate the arcing points, and retain the keeper value of the holder's L shaped contact clips.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I recommend googling BenG Ebay, sells over on VXR Online, used his bulbs for interior, sidelights and reg bulbs.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Pretty much all these bulbs are the same 'Chinese' quality fitment. It's the design of the interior roof bulb holders that are not totally suited to these LED bulbs. Not a problem with standard glass bulbs.

I like the LEDs. My interior lighting is now LED, the cabin is half 1/2 white for everyday/night use, and at the flick of two switches can be 1/2 red front and back for dogging or skinning up! Simples...

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,718 Posts
The LEDs that I have in my interior are similar to the old glass bulb, wire either side, so don't short, they aren't the printed board type holders, work a treat, should be a link in my thread in my Sig, first page with pics.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
232 Posts
Had a look at your thread BigDov. They look like the business, no chance of arcing at the edges.
For front centre roof light there is room for a double row SMD festoon.
Interesting to see they are not canbus friendly bulbs.
Concerned to see that the 501s in the ebay add. have both wires on the same side, this will not work in rear roof, need to be one wire each side.

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,718 Posts
You just fold them over like so

Then others no short.

One if them in the holder

Pics are quite bad, the sun is out in force here.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

1 - 16 of 16 Posts