Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Hoping you may be able to help me diagnose a weird noise I've been experiencing for the last month or so. I have a 2 litre 2013 model.

After driving a little while, say 15 minutes or so, there's a weird noise coming when I lightly press the brakes. The best way to describe it is it sounds like the noise you make when blowing in to an empty bottle. Can't specifically place it but it sounds quite hollow and as if there's something catching. It's been getting progressively louder over the last couple of weeks but still only occurs after driving a little while and when lightly pressing the brakes. Also doesn't happen every time and seems to be linked with the direction I move the steering wheel (but there's no obvious correlation here and I can't seem to replicate it regularly enough).

It's been in to two different garages and no problem has been found but the noise is there and getting worse. I had the discs and pads changed about 6 months or so ago as well for context.

I had someone sit in the back yesterday whilst I was driving as I couldn't place where the noise was coming from and he said it seemed to be coming from the rear driver's side.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated as it's driving me up the wall now!

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The brake pads have a metal tab on the edge of them so that when they are worn down this metal tab (squeal shim to give it the correct name) comes into contact with the edge of the discs and makes a noise.

Odd though that the discs & pads were only changed recently though. It might be that one or more of the squeal shims has got bent and is audibly warning the pads are worn down when they're not. The pads I got from Autovaux were like this when I ordered new discs & pads. The pads must have got hit by the discs during transit and bent the squeal shims. I had to bend them back into the correct place.

I would have thought the garage would have spotted this though?

The only other thing I can think is that whoever fitted the pads didn't apply a small smear of copper slip to the rear of the pads. Or maybe they did apply some and it's having the opposite effect.

Have a read of THIS

Personally I've never put copper slip on the rear of the pads, and never had any noises because of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate, interesting read.

Like you say, I would have imagined either garage would have picked up something like that and it's less of a squeal as is the case in worn down metal (I had that a few years ago when I needed new pads/discs).

I think I'll take it in for a third look now we seem to have isolated the problem area.

Thanks again, appreciate the reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts