Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all !

new here and not a mechanic so take it easy aye ;-)

ok bought an astra van. Log book etc says 2.0Di ( diesel)
few days into driving the van started showing eml and a severe loss of power.
( note this light comes on before engine is started , so when pre-heating the van light is lit usually then goes off along with the glow plug light and the eml light).

after cleaning the egr valve ( and checking operation) , new maf sensor, new temp probe, and a visit to garage with no faults showing couldnt suss what is was.

every so often ( usually after about 20 mins drive ) i can turn van off. leave 10 mins. then the light disappears and full power is re-stored. ......

untill next drive.

However.......

when pottering today , a mate ( ex mechanic,) said ' thats a turbo on there' ...... and its does look like one.
so......has somebody changed the engine ???

it when its running tidy it does do 110 MPH quite easy which is a bit wuick for a 2.0di.......

any thoughts ?????????

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thought that the Di is a plain diesel injection ? otherwise wouldnt it be a 2.0 TDi ?? ( not that im questioning mind )

·
AON - Administrator
59,287 Posts
Common mistake. DI is a low boost map turbo engine. DTI is a high boost turbo engine with an intercooler. Add the intercooler and a map and yours will be well up on power

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
right ok. Then its helping anyway . as i thought it didnt have a turbo so the turbo couldnt be at fault. :-/

Ok so .....

back to my fault. :-D

What fault would show ( by eml light coming on ) before engine has even been turned over ? its as if its found during an ' engine pre-check) or something ?

Any help would be appreciated .

thankls

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,714 Posts
only real thing thats checked pre starting is obv fuel pressure, and that all the sensors are giving some form of feed back( normally just a powered state)

Being that its fine some times but others not, I would hazard a guess and say its a sensor at fault, but unfortunately as here's no real indication as to the loss of power( although depending on age you may be able to use the paper clip test or use a diagnostic scanner to read any codes on the ECU) which will point to wards what caused the car to pop up the eml light, my thoughts are could be a crank or cam sensor thats gone

·
3,890 Posts
Have you got a code reader? If not it might be worth getting a bluetooth one for about £7 from ebay and getting a free app on your phone to read the codes.

·
27,714 Posts
Have you got a code reader? If not it might be worth getting a bluetooth one for about £7 from ebay and getting a free app on your phone to read the codes.
Only issue being is some of the Bluetooth readers won't recognise( or switch/ bridge pins) obd I ports which the mk4 diesel may have as it was only std in 2004 for diesels to have obd II ports.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tried a bt reader showing no codes.
can clear all faults and reset ecu with it . but fault still exists ( light goes off , van runs rough , then light back on )

·
27,714 Posts
Try reading it with the scanner as the van is running with the code active see what it throws up. Rememeber the eml lighy will always be active when the ignition is live but the car isn't started.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts