Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
Right, so I am completely new to being a car owner. My ex was always in charge of the cars and he was a mechanic so all issues were sorted before they even became issues. I picked up a few things from him but its still daunting AF.

Bit of background...I bought a 58 plate Astra 1.4 SXI on Saturday, had it dropped off on Wednesday.
When I saw the advert I was a tad sceptical because there was not much detail and no photos but it was a local dealer with good reviews so I thought I would go check it out anyway.

Was pleasantly surprised to see it was in very good condition: the odd mark here and there, as to be expected; a small gauge on one of the alloys but over all it looked fab. It had 98k on the clock and was told it was previously owned by a "vehicle technician", so it had been cared for.
Took it for a test drive and as we went round a roundabout I heard a familiar knocking, mentioned it to the dealer and told him it might be the bushes, he agreed to get the mechanics to look at it on Monday. Had smugface when I found out I was right. Turned out my I remembered more than I thought :lol:

Anyway, He told me that the car had come in on Monday as a p/x, since then they had changed filters, fixed a leak in the oil line, put 2 new tyres on, a new fuel pump and a full valet and service ready for sale...
I was thinking back... surely the mechanics would have noticed the knocking!? They would have taken it somewhere to check it runs ok, wouldn't they?
Also, shouldn't all of this "work" have been included in the service history? Of which, I swear the advert said full history, I only got part....and not even the most recent stuff....oh and no manual either.
Maybe its because I'm new to this, maybe its because I'm a very anxious person, but I cant help wonder if I went wrong somewhere.

HPI check came back clean and like I said, car is aesthetically sound.

Oh and when I start and stop the car, Insp shows up on the dash. it stays there for a less than minute and then goes off. If the car has recently had a full service, why is it coming up??

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I'll give that a go tomorrow.
Will it reset it even if there is actually good reason for it to be showing? I only ask because I drove the car for the 1st time today and I think the alignment is way off, so I called the dealer, told him that when the wheel is straight the car goes to the left quite significantly and the bloke had a go at me "I don't sell dodgy cars" "If something was wrong I would have noticed" (even though he missed the knocking) and then he point blank refused to get it sorted. I'm now wondering if it even had the service.
Love the car but beginning to regret buying it from this guy. Also, it managed to rack up over 200 miles in a week yet he told me it only went from one dealership in Ledbury to the other in Gloucester so what else has he lied about

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,719 Posts
Iirc consumer law still protects you more so if it's from a dealer, so he has to be able to sort it to a satisfactory level.

As for the tracking, cars are set up to drift left thanks to the road camber and tye factory tracking, bit Should not be excessive.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
How clean is your oil on the dipstick?
The car has nearly 100000 miles on it so it is not going to be perfect. If the 2 new tyres were fitted on the front then the wear may have been caused by bad tracking. I would keep an eye on the wear pattern on the front tyres as the edge of the tyres wear early if the tracking is out.
I personally never trust car sales people and take what they say with a pinch of salt.
The car seems reasonnably ok so stop worrying about it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You have 6 months guarantee that the car must be of satisfactory quality from any dealer by law regardless of what they say even if they say sold as seen, which is against the law for a dealer to say it, you also by law have 28 days to reject the car for a full refund if it causes you too many problems age and mileage taken into consideration, although this is mechanical not things like the door handle is loose or a switch is broken, a good garage will always put things right and sounds like they are good so far, not all dealers have the time to road test a car to notice knocking....but if they put an MOT on it then they ruddy well should have found it, if it has had a new MOT and you have any more problems like that report them to DVSA within 28days of the MOT being issued and 3 months for corrosion problems, they will retest the vehicle for free if you feel it has not been completed correctly.

If they said it had full service history then it must have this, if not they have broken the consumer rights act 2015.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts