Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello dear Astra human drivers over yonder. I'm a member of saturnfans, and I'm in the US, and I'm checking this site now!

Well, here's my story. A few months ago I bought my very first Astra H (2008 model). 5 speed, SE model. The most basic Astra ever produced on this planet, this I own, but it's a great car. It needs a lot of things, but I got it cheap and it had very low miles, it's just cosmetically challenged.

However, you see, this is nothing like the Astra my friend in Europe used to own. GM decided to convert this car into a 1975 Cadillac Eldorado, to please living room TV cushion sitters - and this is unacceptable. This car had so much potential here, that it's a shame Saturn went bankrupt.

Anyway, I'm here reading all I can, to try to understand how to Opelize/Vauxhalize my car into a proper Astra.

My immediate goals to improve this car are:

-Get Opel Speedline rims (if any of you have a set for sell, I may be your buyer!)
-OPC/VRX front bumper upgrade
-Side skirts
-Improving suspension bits

Here's my Astra. Look how ugly it sits now - it might just as well come standard with Covid-19 from the factory. I even use this car for Uber (as you can see from the windshield logo sticker) and my passengers run away when they see it. This is affecting my business!

Help me to beautify it and y'all will get credit! :D

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Check out eBay UK, for Astra xp kit, and they look better imo with penta alloys.
Tbh I quite like the side markers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, I'm checking it out now. I see more variety of rims there. The pentas are easy to find here, but the prices aren't always attractive. I'm going back and forth if I should get the pentas or the speedlines. The pentas look great on silver (my car's color) but the speedline also look nice. Decisions decisions lol

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
The pentas can be a bit like that here too, prices can vary quite a fair bit, the vxr rims would be a bit of a novelty over there tho personally I’m starting to look about for vectra xp rims, they seem to hold their money well tho

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pentas can be a bit like that here too, prices can vary quite a fair bit, the vxr rims would be a bit of a novelty over there tho personally I’m starting to look about for vectra xp rims, they seem to hold their money well tho

Those vectra XP rims look great! You know, I did some photoshop editing, and the speedlines don't look that good (to me at least) on a silver Astra like mine. So, I'm not sure. I did another photo edit using the 19" VXR's, and they look much better. It's something about the color it seems, the speedline seem to look much better on darker cars.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
You get tyres cheaper over there than we do, so the vxr 19s might be ideal, if you go with the vxr bumper you’ll have to change the grille to the 3 door, if you want to keep the badge go with the Opel grille.
@Dripping is your side of the pond, think he’s done some decent mods, especially with the auto box

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tires are dirt cheap here indeed. I plan to get the Opel grill, and I'll need to get the center bumper support, which is part number 13110340, which is needed to do the VRX/OPC conversion over here, aside from a few other mods to the crash bar.

I found someone willing to ship VRX 19" rims over. It's pricey due to the conversion, at around $250 per rim (used), but it's tempting.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought I'd post an update on solving the uglification problem of my Astra.

I've got a OPC bumper on the way from the other side of the pond, and will be hopefully here in 2-3 weeks. Also got the center bracket support.

Next is finding good looking rims. I have a seller from the Uk willing to ship VXRs, but at 250 bucks a piece (after british pound conversion to our worthless dollar), it's hurting my feelings -but oh VXRs are so nice!

Here´s a few photoshopped images I hacked using pics of Astras I found floating on the web. These rims are from our Saturn Auras, and Pontiac G6s, which, according to members at saturnfans, should be a direct fit on our US Astras.

I can get these rims at the junkyard, for less than the price of a used McDonalds hamburger at Burger King.

What are your thoughts?

These are Pontiac G6s 18¨ rims.

i

And these are from the Aura, which look remarkably similar to the Opel Speedline 12 pole(?) rims

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's been a while. Here's an update from the other side of the world. The opelization of the American Astra is in progress.

Got the Opel badge, and a few other things. The Aura rims are almost finished after sanding them down. Got side skirts installed, and I have a XP spoiler coming over from Spain. I'm still waiting on the OPC bumper, but should be here soon.

Here's a few pics of progress.

Sanded/polished the headlights. Big difference in night time driving. - Sigh, look at that ugly bumper...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Time for an update to my UK Astra friends. I got the centerpiece support that will enable me to install the OPC bumper. However, I'm still waiting for the bumper. It's been a month, and international shipping for any part has been tremendously slow. So, more patience. Here's a few pics in the meantime.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So it's finally here. Pity it was a bit damaged during shipping, but not terribly broken. I may have to bondo it, or take it to a shop to have it fixed professionally. That's the risk you take with fiberglass bumpers, but it was far cheaper than the ABS one, so I took the risk.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
time for another update. HAven't installed the bumper yet, been chasing other issues with maintenance and performance upgrades.

Just got a team2fast 200 sport cat/manifold yesterday. This is the link if any of you wish to look into it. VAUXHALL ASTRA H / ZAFIRA B 1.6 1.8 Z16XER Z18XER EXHAUST SPORTS MANIFOLD HEADER | eBay

This manifold fits the US Astra with the Z18XER engine (I had doubts at first), so you euro drivers shouldn't have any problems fitting it as well.

The company claims 18hp extra, but I'm chasing other performance issues right now so I can't tell exactly if there's a major improvement until I resolve other problems in the engine. There's an improvement of response at WOT though.

I couldn't tell a difference in sound, but I still have the stock exhaust.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts