Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've recently bought my 07 Astra 1.9 CDTi SRi which I absolutly love but not doing so well on the issues front so far.....

Have already had the Alternator go on me, the Glow Plugs have been replaced and due to a whining from 5th and 6th gear the garage are replacing the gearbox on Mon 5th Nov ! Luckily this has all been done under warranty which is due to run out soon.

But I have one final issue which I can best describe as a rattling/tapping noise on acceleration at low speeds (20-40mph ish), its very noticable but not what I'd call really bad, yet ! The garage have told me that its a common noise Astra diesels make from the injectors......

Has anyone else experienced this ? I'm worried somethings going to go wrong after my warranty runs out and the noise is getting on my nerves and doesn't see right ??

Many Thanks
Micky

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Had my astra from 16miles to 133,000, for 7 years now. Never had this rattling/tapping noise on acceleration, so they're crapping you there. In fact i've been in a few astra diesels and NONE of of have made it.

Glow plugs, i'm on my 4th set (1st being when car was new)

Alternator's going is nothing new, some do, some don't.

I've also had gearbox/clutch/flywheel replaced at about 73k, it was whining in 5-6th, nothing was done until it sort of went, I had 3rd and 4th gear available, but that was under warranty.

Can you get a recording of this sound? or meet someone in your area?

Oh and Welcome to AON :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bikky,

I have thought about taking it to another Vauxhall garage for a second opinion but even if I've got one not sure how I could prove what they said to Perrys......

I don't think the noise would record to be honest but whenever I think about it my best description I can come up with is a fan hitting something when it spins when I accelerate :-(

·
Premium Member
59,266 Posts
Welcome to AON (Y)

Is your warranty specifically with Perrys themselves as opposed to Vauxhall?

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
How long have you had the car? if only a short time, it's for the dealer to prove there isn't a fault. If you get a 2nd opinion, and take it back and tell them, other places say what the fault is, they are obliged to fix.

Sounds odd if you only get it under acceleration though. If you speed up and then just hold that speed in that gear does the noise say? or once speed is reached does it go away?

Only real way is to meed another DERV driver of the same engine in SE region and compare noises. Sure one of the chaps/chapesses down there would oblige.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was a used Vauxhall through Perrys but the Warranty is a third party who Perrys contract to called Abraxis. Have only had the car 2 months but only have a 3 month or 3,000 mile warranty and have already done 2,500 ! :-(

First reported this noise to them 2 weeks in though but feel like I'm getting fobbed off ! Its hard to say if the noise goes away I guess it does, it can come and go which makes me think even more that its a fault not just a common noise, definately only there while accelerating and tends to be at relatively low end speeds, for example I don't notice it at 70/80mph on the motorway.

Have done some web searches and only mention I can find that sounds similar is on this site http://www.autoinsider.co.uk/problems/show.php?problem=11673

1 - 7 of 7 Posts