Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Although I'm new here, I'm not new to Vauxhall cars. My previous two cars were an Astra SRI VX-line 2.0 in 2012 and an Insignia SRI VX-Line 2.0 last year. I'm now upgrading to a GTC 1.6i Turbo limited edition and even though the build times on the previous two cars caused me no concern, I find myself feeling like a child who is waiting for that Christmas gift that I've wanted for years! I know there are other threads on lead times for new builds but I cannot find many on this particular spec. So, I've decided to create a thread for a new build from the day of placing the order until the thread is no longer of any use.

I will be asking questions along the way as like I said, with the last two cars I just ordered them and then paid no attention until the car was ready for me to collect (other than the odd call from the dealer with an occasional update). In contrast, I find myself very intrigued by the whole process in between placing an order and delivery. Both of my previous cars took around 3 months to build so I'm expecting roughly the same lead time for the GTC. However, as this is a limited edition, I'm wondering if it may take longer as I heard there was a problem at the factory with sourcing the VXR spoiler. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

So here we go:

Order placed on 05/10/2016.
Spec Ordered: Mineral Black GTC Limited Edition 1.6i 16v Turbo 200ps with parking sensors (I'm thinking the sensors may add some delay).
Est. Delivery Date: 06/01/2017.

Can any other "Limited Edition" owners here who can tell me how long they waited from order to delivery?

Thanks.

·
AON - Administrator
59,287 Posts
It's a common theme with Vauxhall owners, and unfortunately somewhat of a joke to others, that adding the words 'Limited Edition' to the name of a car ensures that it is nothing but. The reverse in fact. It usually means that they can be found everywhere. I wouldn't expect any sort of significant lead time unless you purposely specify something unusual.

A Vauxhall is only genuinely limited if it has a build number as per the Nurburgring for example

·
3,891 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
The guy is genuinely excited about his new car(fair play) and you have just shot him down. I would love to be able to be in that position and order a new car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
AON - Administrator
59,287 Posts
The guy is genuinely excited about his new car(fair play) and you have just shot him down. I would love to be able to be in that position and order a new car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't shot him down. I've explained why he shouldn't have to worry about an extended lead time

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The Vauxhall dealer said there is a slight delay due to manufacturing issues with the VXR spoiler. I was thinking that adding the parking sensors and the issue that "may" occur with the rear spoiler, might extend the lead time.

Edit: I know the "Limited Edition" doesn't make it as special as they make it out to be, I just like the way it looks:)
Plus: I've not seen one (yet) in my city, so they are slightly rarer in my area in that respect, though I still know that doesn't make it special.

·
AON - Administrator
59,287 Posts
There's absolutely nothing wrong with an LE and they invariably look better, they just don't attract a longer lead time (Y)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its special to you mate, and thats all that matters.
(Y) It looks special when I compare it to my VX-Line Insignia, it also reminds me a little of my 2012 Astra VX-Line but I think the GTC holds a slight lead "looks" wise. I loved that Astra, even more so after upgrading (what I thought to be an upgrade at the time) to the Insignia, man she was heavy but the 2.0 CDTI engine did still have some pull... After a week, I wanted my Astra BACK! Though if I had got it back (or at least one the same), after being told there were NO GTC Ltd Ed in stock anywhere in the UK that had the specs and colour I wanted, I doubt I would have been motivated enough to put in a factory order.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with an LE and they invariably look better, they just don't attract a longer lead time (Y)
Don't worry mate, I've seen some of your posts before on the LEs and I know your opinion of them is geared more towards the manufacturers and not the forums users, I understand your hatred of the manufacturers tendency to tack on a badge in an effort to make it more desirable, and then making more of them than the standard model.. It's like the mass production of these new toys that they are referring to as "collectibles", nothing that is mass produced in that sense, is rare. Though I think this is as close to it as I'm going to get as I doubt I'll ever be able to afford a car that is numbered from the nurburgring ;)

It is good to know that I won't be waiting 16-18 weeks (hopefully) like the Insignias when the WM police force were having them made en mass, I just wanted to make sure that the added option and the issue with the spoiler will not extend the lead time. The EDD is 13 weeks and 3 days from date of order and hopefully that's taking into account the added option.

Limited edition number: 9,974,245 of 10,000,000 is now in the system! :lol:

·
AON - Administrator
59,287 Posts
It was 12 weeks lead time on my SRi in a special order colour so I'd like to think that date does take in to account the extra options (Y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
In 2014 we ordered a 1.4T Limited Edition GTC with LED rear lights, Electric folding Wing Mirrors in Carbon Flash Black and it took eight weeks. We have been in a fortunate position to change our car two years later for the improved version of the same car in 2016 with same options plus Climate Control and Infinity Sound system and once again from order to delivery was eight weeks. I would expect you to have your car before Christmas, all the best, hope you enjoy your new car and look forward to your updates, Cheers Darryl

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update from dealer: New lead time now 18 weeks, factoring in a 6 week delay due to the rear spoiler supply issues. According to multiple VX dealers who knew about the supply problem and who openly say it's causing a six week delay, this has been a known issue for at least two moths..

·
Registered
118 Posts
I like the exterior look of the limited editions, but I found when looking at the second hand market that unless they were specifically spec as a SRI the interior was the basic cloth seats and there wasn't any sight and light pack (auto wipers and lights). Obviously this may not be the case with the latest version of GTC's, but originally the interior spec for the LE was the 'sport' edition which was the basic setup, which kind of makes a mockery of the whole LE tag.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hey all,

It's been 37 days since placing the order and received an update on Tuesday 15th saying: "Just checked channel 21, delivery is estimated for 16/02/2017 the car is at event 25 you can use your sono to track online on the Vauxhall website". From what I've just read, event 25 means the parts are ordered (can someone confirm that's what event 25 means?).

As for tracking it myself, I asked him again how as I cannot find any such link on the website and was told again to go to Vauxhall website and click "track my car" :confused: :confused:

Is it just me or does anyone else fail to find any type of order tracking on the Vauxhall website?

GTC200.

·
AON - Administrator
59,287 Posts
As far as I know the track my car option is no longer available. It wouldn't work anyway as it only used to start tracking when you got to stage 33

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Update from dealer: New lead time now 18 weeks, factoring in a 6 week delay due to the rear spoiler supply issues. According to multiple VX dealers who knew about the supply problem and who openly say it's causing a six week delay, this has been a known issue for at least two moths..
I know this is an old post now, but ask them to clarify this 6 week delay, they used to contact myself directly to supply.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know this is an old post now, but ask them to clarify this 6 week delay, they used to contact myself directly to supply.
Hi, it's not actually that old mate and your post has come at a good time as it still seems to be an issue. It wasn't actually my dealership who first informed me about the issues with the spoiler supply, it was two other dealerships that told me about the 6 week delay. Even though I told my dealer about it, he still did not confirm there was a delay until about a week after we placed the order. As for clarification, the only information I've managed to get from anyone (including my dealer and two others) is "there is a delay due to problems with supply of the rear spoiler". Do you any more knowledge on this issue?

Thanks,
GTC200.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
The company that used to make them was based in Mansfield and went into liquidation in 2010. after this there were issues in supply and most places used to contact myself as I was one of the few places that could supply next day, I haven't been contacted in a long time regarding this so assumed the new manufacturing had sorted things out.

I know the new manufacturers had problems making the aero spoiler for the vxr and had to resort to putting a silly support in it, but not aware of any other issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the reply ArdenVXR, I wish you could tell someone at Vauxhall that because nobody there seems to know what the exact problem is! With it causing a 6 week delay (which is nearly half of the lead time for a new build!) for a single part, you would think they would know or at least have more information than "6 week delay thanks to VXR rear spoiler sourcing issues".

As for tracking it myself, I give up!! After a month of trying to get an answer from my dealer, I contacted Vauxhall directly and was told they would look into it. I received an email today from them saying they would get my local dealer to update me on how to track the SONO myself, I received an email not long after from my local dealer saying I can track my order using the "trackmyvauxhall" website, even after I told him on numerous occasions that it no longer works... We all know that the trackmyvauxhall site is currently no longer working (server is up but times out and using port 80 instead of port 443 redirects to vauxhall.co.uk). I also received a message from "Yolande" through Vauxhalls Facebook page saying: "I have been informed that the Track my Vauxhall service will now not be live until December 8th. Your dealership will be able to keep you well-informed with tracking updates until then. I apologise for any confusion caused".

I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall with Vauxhall, for the last month I've asked only two questions:

1, How can I track the order myself?
2, Will it really take an additional 6 weeks due to one part and if so, why?

I've not had a proper answer to either of my two lowly questions :confused::confused:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts