Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am autistic and my ability to communicate is sometimes very, very bad.

I am looking for your help to correctly formulate my query with the service department of my dealer (=the people who fix up my car).
The situation is extremely simple but the shop are trying to get away with the least that they can and they are not trying to understand me.
The car is under warranty with Eden Vauxhall (Newbury) and I don't want to talk to other garages, because I want the repairs to be done under warranty (for free).

A few months ago, I noticed the engine is making a weird noise (let's leave the technical discussion out of this thread, please) and, since my car was due for a
service anyway, I asked if they could take a listen when it's with them already.

When I picked up the car from service, the guy at the office (I don't talk directly to the engineers) said the engineers left a note that "no extraordinary noises were
observed".
My problem with that is that I don't believe I've ever heard that noise come out of a healthy car. Also, it didn't use to be there a certain while ago.

However, since I am not talking to an engineer, but an office clerk, all he could do is shrug and say that I can book diagnostics for 90 quid...

I have an MOT due soon and I would like another try at investigating this noise. Unfortunately, what I think will happen is that they will perform the MOT, maybe
listen to the noise (maybe not) and then just say it's all fine.
I will then pick up the car, unable to challenge their finding...

What I want to happen:
I leave the car with them (I have an MOT due soon)
When I pick up the car, if they say "there is no problem", I want to know:
OK, I am willing to accept that if you could say what is making this sound, why I haven't heard it before and why other cars don't make it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The noise reproduced 100% of the times but the engine must be cold (like, sat overnight). So, I can believe, if they had just changed oil and ran the car a while (not sure they actually do that), that the noise might not have been there.
That being said, I have a few videos of the noise and even though the microphone isn't very good at discerning that particular noise, it is very much there.

I just need to somehow get the service guys to really try to get me sorted, not do the least they can to send me home.

I don't understand why a full diagnostics, worth 90 quid is needed to be paid in advance for an engineer to listen for a second and tell me if that noise is right or really needs an investigation!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's also an element of my time here. I work far from where I live, it's a new job. So, I need a reliable method of personal transport.
The office clerk said I could stay in the shop and be with the engineers when they start looking at my car but I can't tell my boss:
"hey, I am going to spend half a day in the garage to wait until they get round to my car so I can tell them how to use their ears".
If it gets to that, I might as well pay for the diagnostics...

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
The car is under warranty with Eden Vauxhall (Newbury)

Having had previous dealings with Eden Newbury a few years ago, both with their sales staff, and workshop facilities, I wouldn't touch them with someone else's bargepole.

Biggest shower of poo I've ever had to deal with.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can agree. Do we have a better option?
For my next car, I am definitely going to put Customer Service higher in the priority list.
Everyone is happy to tell me how reliable the car is but every modern car I've owned (I've owned 3 cars made after 2012) needed a lot of servicing.

First few visits in Eden Newbury were great. They even cleaned up the wheels as a courtesy.
After that, they started leaving old parts on the seats, white grease on the seats and worse:
Almost every repair resulted in a defect!

* One time, my ESP was raising a lot of errors and breaking felt weird - they took a week investigating the car (really? An engineer was working a whole week on it?), fixed the problem, but
left my stop lights unhooked. Imagine my stress driving home at night, people running into me, almost colliding (can't blame them, stop lights exist for a reason), giving me all sorts of gestures...
* Another time, they changed my brake pads and didn't return the wheel unlocking socket. Found that out when I was changing tires - good thing my kwik-fit is right next to them!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts