Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently brought a Astra H cheap run around for work. I get a whining noise when I take my foot off the accelerator also it jitters abit. I also get a coolant alert on my dash when turning the car on but the coolant is full.

I’ve gota 55 plate 1.8 SRi+ if that helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can anyone please help as I would like to try and get this problem sorted quickly and as cheap as I can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only way I can really explain is when I’m driving. It sounds sort like a bus then the I take my foot off the accelerator it will judder a few time then br fine. All gears that is.

·
Registered
253 Posts
For safety purposes, I would have a good mechanic look at the car ASAP.

- Manual transmission? Without seeing the car I would guess clutch.

- Maybe something on the accessory belt is binding (e.g. alternator, AC compressor, waterpump, tensioner...). The alternator might have a clutch pulley but I'm not sure if that would cause such noises and problems.

- Bus noise sometimes is wheel bearings or CV joints; those can be dangerous when failing.

Is the low coolant message on the big orange screen at the centre of the dash? There is a coolant level sensor inside the clear coolant overflow tank which is typically the issue. Check the wires are properly clipped in and that wire contacts are clean. But that sensor tends to get dirty and fail. Some people add just a slight bit of extra coolant and the low coolant message disappears...for a while at least. Search the forums for how some people clean out the tank to refurbish the sensor. Another option is to replace the tank (get the right part as some overflow tanks don't have the built in sensor).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

- Maybe something on the accessory belt is binding (e.g. alternator, AC compressor, waterpump, tensioner...). The alternator might have a clutch pulley but I'm not sure if that would cause such noises and problems.

- Bus noise sometimes is wheel bearings or CV joints; those can be dangerous when failing.

Is the low coolant message on the big orange screen at the centre of the dash? There is a coolant level sensor inside the clear coolant overflow tank which is typically the issue. Check the wires are properly clipped in and that wire contacts are clean. But that sensor tends to get dirty and fail. Some people add just a slight bit of extra coolant and the low coolant message disappears...for a while at least. Search the forums for how some people clean out the tank to refurbish the sensor. Another option is to replace the tank (get the right part as some overflow tanks don't have the built in se

Is the low coolant message on the big orange screen at the centre of the dash? There is a coolant level sensor inside the clear coolant overflow tank which is typically the issue. Check the wires are properly clipped in and that wire contacts are clean. But that sensor tends to get dirty and fail. Some people add just a slight bit of extra coolant and the low coolant message disappears...for a while at least. Search the forums for how some people clean out the tank to refurbish the sensor. Another option is to replace the tank (get the right part as some overflow tanks don't have the built in sensor).
alright mate. The coolant light does come on but it’s full. And when I was on my way home from work tonight I couldn’t get it in gear 1&2 and it was whining and screaming at me. Im going to take it to a garage tomorrow. But what is the problem with the coolant message?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE.
I had some a few friends come round this morning (Both unreal with cars and ones a mechanic) they have confirmed it’s the clutch. There going to fix it for me for cheap labour and parts. Thank god.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Good friends m8.

Check which model transmission you have mated with your car. The US Astras have the slave cylinder hidden inside the transmission so that makes sense for us to change whilst the transmission is apart (I don't know if that is the case with your transmission). The slave cylinder is an inexpensive part, but expensive labour ONLY IF it requires transmission removal.

My buddy recently had the slave cylinder fail on his Astra. That required "removing" the transmission so he had the mechanic do the clutch package whilst the whole thing was apart. I think the slave cylinder part was $50.

(FYI - I think the US Astras have the z18xer engine & F17 manual transmission with some minor tweaks for the US market).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good friends m8.

Check which model transmission you have mated with your car. The US Astras have the slave cylinder hidden inside the transmission so that makes sense for us to change whilst the transmission is apart (I don't know if that is the case with your transmission). The slave cylinder is an inexpensive part, but expensive labour ONLY IF it requires transmission removal.

My buddy recently had the slave cylinder fail on his Astra. That required "removing" the transmission so he had the mechanic do the clutch package whilst the whole thing was apart. I think the slave cylinder part was $50.

(FYI - I think the US Astras have the z18xer engine & F17 manual transmission with some minor tweaks for the US market).
Cheers mate.
I’m not buying the part until they have taken it apart as the want to see which clutch kit I need cause I can get a clutch kit with and out certain parts so there making sure I don’t get the wrong one and have to buy another.

appreciate your help mate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts