Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know when i bought my astra in January it was in a sorry state. some of the things wrong with the car were:

-Air con not working
-fans not working
-CD30 not playing CD's
-Hydraulic Tappet rattling
-Damaged wing mirror (damaged soon after i bought the car)
-Washer jets not working
-Damaged door cars in the rear
-Drivers electric window jamming

since i bought the car the power steering pump spectacularly exploded, and soon after the alternator gave up

of all the things ever wrong with the car, the only thing i haven't fixed yet is the hydraulic tappets. i managed to source a lot of the parts off here or eBay to correct the problems. Each month the attempt to get the tappets done (along with Cam belt and water pump) something has happened on the car or in my personal life to cause me to heamorrage money.

This month is no exception! Was driving this morning to drop the missus off at work. i stopped at the lights for all of 30 secs, selected 1st gear to set off, was ready to go when the lights changed to green. went to set off, lifted my clutch and......NOTHING! car would not move. reselected 1st and tried again....still nothing. Then all of a sudden with a clunk the clutch engaged and i was off. for the next two miles i suffered from terrible clutch slip, then as suddenly as it started, it stopped.

Is this my clutch on the way out or what???...if it is then i know that the money pit known as my astra is gonna take another bite outta my wallet. Now i only bought the car for peanuts and i have still yet to spend the money it would have cost me for the model in mint condition. I know that changing my clutch will take me up to about £1,900 spent on it (inc purchase).

i'm half tempted to book a week off work and get my hands dirty to try and save on labour
is it worth doing or should i just call it quits and sell it?

Stuart

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'd be tempted to sell, especially if you've still got more jobs to do on the car. £1900 is a good start for another car instead of clutch.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Sounds to me like you bought the car knowing it needed work and were happy to do it yourself. A project car that comes good will always mean more to you than a new car. I'd personally say that with the work you've already put in you've shown you're willing to work on the car. Only you can say whether it has been worth it and whether it warrants more time and money.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers for your opinions guys, couldn't believe the clutch this morning though. its been fine since and pedal travel is ok so hoping the clutch just threw a fit rather than it going. I'd just managed to source a complete cylinder head with cams and lifters for £300 off a 2007 astra Cat C for £300. If the clutch is going then the cylinder head will have to go on the back burners AGAIN! :lol:

Have been putting Millers Diesel Power Eco Max in the tank every time i fill up and the lifters have quietened down a lot since i got the car, especially after two services this year. however i fear the damaged lifters will come to the end of their lives soon. Just hope the missus doesn't mind me doing the work on Christmas Day instead of going to the in-laws...:lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts