Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a gruelling 10months of looking for THE right Astra, I have finally become a worth while member of this forum lol!

So with 2years since I had my license I was causing havoc on the roads in this:

:lol: Being 17 at the time it was the best car ever which you'd expect from your 1st car, but I turned 19 earlier this year I wanted to treat myself to new car but so many attempts just kept failing and failing partly due to my uncle it was in his hands to give me a yes or no to a car for me to buy as he is in the trade.

I had 2 cars lined up to finally view last Thursday both of which were slightly over budget for what they were, but I had every intention to buy one of the two. Just before my uncle and I head out to view the two as planned I had a cheeky last look on Auto Trader and much to my surprise THE perfect one popped up at an AMAZING price. It had been added to Auto Trader just that day as I was looking every day without fail :lol:! So we ignored the two we initially had in mind to view and made our way up to Cambridge.

After much of my uncle scrutinising and practically turning the car inside out, price was settled and I am now FINALLY the owner of this
:D

1.8 SRi (not sure if its an SRi+ :shrug:) anyway, full XP pack all what you'd expect from an SRi also has full leather heated seats, perfect for winter:D...gonna hate it come summer though lol!

2 things that have got me itching to mod already are...an SMD conversion (any info of any SMD days South East???)
and also an Eonon D5107E as they are finally back in stock and slightly cheaper than they initially were. Also due to put my private plate on but just waiting on my documents for the astra to get it transferred from the Corsa. Those are the 1st mods i want to do and cant wait till they happen!

Thanks for your time in reading my proper introduction to the club
:D

·
Registered
378 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on your purchase! I was the same looking around for my perfect Astra, and then dropped lucky on the one for me!

Mods sounds good. Have you not looked at a VXMMI instead of the Eonon unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome and congratulations on your purchase! I was the same looking around for my perfect Astra, and then dropped lucky on the one for me!

Mods sounds good. Have you not looked at a VXMMI instead of the Eonon unit?

just looked into that headunit and it seems better than an Eonon one and theres a head office in Luton so may have to go down there as it's less than 10min away :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
lol looked into the VXMMI4 headunit at a total cost of about £800 i think i'll try get me a D1057E instead :lol:

need some new centre caps so gonna be a ebay job for that i think. Oh one other thing, I love my new car but to say its an alcoholic is merely an understatement car seriously drinks...probs doesn't help im abusing the sport button but hey you can't blame me lol!

also thanks for the comments guys! mods may take a while and im gonna get impatient but be worth the wait lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sooo had the car around 4months now loving it as you would imagine then....

Let me set the scene as well as I can guys, so bare with me, its still a blur lol. I was parked in a bay on the left hand side of a road. Ive then gone and indicated to pull out and do a 3point turn people on my side of the road had let me go and i see I have enough time and space on the opposite side of the road to complete my turn. As I began the 1st stage of the manoeuvre I'm now practically blocking the entire road both sides, so I'm parallel in the road. As I'm about to then put it in gear to reverse to complete the turn to then be going in the opposite direction as planned a Suzuki Swift was bombing down the road and ended up leaving my car facing her direction so she's moved my car due to the excess speed she was travelling at.
The woman had the nerve to say she was going less than 30mph but after much explaining and shouting from myself (which didnt help lol) my car would not of been facing her direction from me being in a parallel position if she was going less than 30mph. Mines a 5 door "family car" lol and she has a SUZUKI SWIFT! You can also see how her drivers side tyre is ripped from the alloy how is that possible if she was going less than 30mph, Im baffled to be honest. Any how for me being only 19 with 2yrs no claims or at least had. This is my first incident insurance have said it may be 50/50 either way my premium will rise and may now have to get rid of my pride and joy i had worked so hard to get like you all can understand:'(

By law I do know that if you are blocking someones path of direction i.e doing a manoeuvre the law goes against you. But the road I was on has no signs that you can't do a U Turn. Regardless of that the fact i had been blocking the road to complete the turn she should have stopped. So with her going at excess speed I hope that stands as I have 2 witnesses who saw the incident.
On the plus side of this the damage does just look cosmetic kind of happy but upset cos it would give me every reason now to get a VXR front end on it but as mentioned I think me and the astra will be parting ways :'(

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
still heard nothing from insurance the stress from this is mental lol, it wont be a write off but i dont want to have to get rid of the car worked since i was 16 to get one now 19, had it 4 months then smash lol

·
Registered
378 Posts
It's annoying waiting around for the insurance companies to get in touch happened to me when someone wrote my Peugeot off, waited nearly 4 weeks just have the car inspected good job I hadn't sold my Corsa otherwise I'd have been Car less despite having courtesy car cover, damage to both looks minimal, hopefully a quick fix bud!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I have to say, My insurance company has been spot on, Car was written off on Monday (Accident happened Friday 15th) Got the money Yesterday and I was offered a courtesy car on the spot as it was a non fault accident.

Its so ... soul destroying when you see your car like that but by the looks of it the car wont need a big repair job done to it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
wish things went that quick for myself @Sousuke its gonna go down 50/50 the car is drivable if i get a new headlight and take the bumper off but just leaving it on the drive for now and taking it round my estate every now and then just to keep it running (sad i know lol). I've sorn it off the road for the time being and suspended my insurance just to save some money. Like say so gutting to see your car in such a state, since i was 16 i wanted one and worked 4 jobs to get it, come 19 got it, had it 4 months now this lol.

edit: also with some luck like you guys say damage isnt that bad at all & ive found a bumper for £45 and a headlight for £30, now if i have to get those i can hopefully take the XP splitter off and im all good loll

·
Registered
525 Posts
Wish i'd had one of these at 19. Loving the leather seats. Sorry to see the damage Mr C, but hope you get her looking beautiful again very soon. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts