Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So need advice as I don’t know what to do would really appreciate it.

so mot test was done 3 days ago at what we will call garage 1 it failed as expected with insufficient park brake and light out on rear
Was then taken to another garage which we will call garage 2 get a price on repairs.

it needs a new calliper as seized and hand brake cable to and 1 bulb had to wait for parts so took 2 days had planned to take back to garage 1 for retest but garage 2 said we can do it here for you free of charge as it’s taken longer then normal we expected it to

it fails on 2 majors and afew minors that all weren't on the previous mot broken coil spring and 2 engine mount bolts missing underneath so what’s going on was the first mot not done right do I go back and complain or is garage adding things on they are firmly saying we stick with what’s been reported the car has only been driven to garage 1 mot then garage 2 to be fixed about 10 miles between each test sorry for the long story.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the reply first garage was we just do mots and yeah my point is I’ve always felt mots are a matter of opinion to a certain extent but to have work done test it literally a day later having not traveled anywhere and it fail on stuff that’s classed as major plus minors that weren’t even present on the first mot is dodgy as hell

I rang there Head office and they are refunding me the price I paid for the mot.
I would normally do that myself with my father in law but I’m working away at the min so wife’s took it in works being done Monday they have said they are going to take pictures and suggest I report them to the dsa.
on a side not my concern is one garage is saying it’s ok the other is saying it’s failed for major and dangerous faults like if the 2nd garage didn’t check it I could potentially driving a unroadworthy car with my 2 kids it.
thanks again for replies

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
most mot places have their on pet hates like brakes suspention tyres what ever but to miss what garage 2 said is shocking i allways do a pre mot inapection as i do all my own repairs myself you cant do that this time cos of work but it is scary id defo report them they should loose there license

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exactly I get it one mot may see something different to another it’s gonna happen but this time it’s a stretch as always appreciate the reply I’ll see what happens when I ring them Monday

·
Registered
112 Posts
I always use my local VX dealer for MOTs and servicing. Good deal with service club card (MOT ~30% discount) and no rip off costs. My 2014 Tourer CDTi just had year 8 MOT with no findings. In fact only failed once with broken spring 2 years back. Will be back with them for fix price service in March and as per last 6 years of ownership hopefully wont be back in till 2023. Always good to have a family run garage that you can trust.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You mean Arnold Shark. I only ever used them once and that was to buy my astra j prior to my Tourer. Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole for MOTS, repairs or used cars. I recall the MD of my local independent vx dealer telling me that when vx service club initially launched half price mots, they're response was nobody will ever leave our garage with only a half price mot. I've used this dealer most of my driving life and they treat their customers like family members.

·
Registered
112 Posts
glad to here it m8
To be honest they are the one reason I have been with Vx, they're only 6 miles away, know everyone on first name terms, bought a few cars from them but not my current Tourer which I picked up in Doncaster as they couldn't get me one. They do though treat it as one they have sold and I can't fault them for anything. When they go I will go elsewhere but don't see that happening.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I always use my local VX dealer for MOTs and servicing. Good deal with service club card (MOT ~30% discount) and no rip off costs.
Not such a good deal as it used to be. The service club deal used to entitle you to 50% off MOTs until Vauxhall became part of the PSA group.
Also, you no longer get 25% off parts and labour if you opt for non genuine Vauxhall replacement parts.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Not such a good deal as it used to be. The service club deal used to entitle you to 50% off MOTs until Vauxhall became part of the PSA group.
Also, you no longer get 25% off parts and labour if you opt for non genuine Vauxhall replacement parts.
Yeah I know Big Dave, but any saving is still good. With there fixed price servicing or service club discount they're as cheap as anywhere else. Only repairs i've had to get done was a broken rear spring 2 years back and a press glow plug 1 year back. When I priced the glow plug on line from Vaux parts it was £135 for the part itself, I got the dealer to change it for the same price, I used to do all my own servicing and repairs for years but with technology moving on leave it to the experts. Got a £250 voucher from Vx after my last moan at them so that will cover the service in March.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
you can do all the things your paying them to do yourself why waste money giving it to them you can get a set of springs for 40 quid and change them in 30mins i bet they charged you 3 times that for 1 .false economy dealers.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yeah when I was younger perhaps, but my days of crawling under cars at 64 are gone. The broken spring was found during an MOT and got both changed right away and car back immediately rather than all the aggravation of getting parts, taking car home, repairing on my own outside in freezing cold wet weather and then having to get a retest. The bill was not anywhere near your guesstimate.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
im 55 but do all my own stuff replaced the full front and back suspension on mine in lockdown and service it every 5k drives like brand new hopefully get another 10yrs out it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts