Astra Owners Network banner

MOT Day!!!!

462 views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  stuart_astra1.7 
#1 ·
just thought i'd let everyone know my car is in for its MOT as i type. Mechanic is doing the drop links first but fingers and toes crossed he finds nothing else as can't afford any other major expenses on the car just yet.

Can everyone wish my car luck as i think it will need it, cheers (Y)

#4 ·
One of the rear calipers was seized and needed replacing.
One of the rear shocks had a massive leak and needed replacing, but did both for the balance.
Front wishbone needed replacing.
Handbrake cable was replaced, but weren't sure whether it was damaged during replacement of rear caliper or not, so they just did it for free to cover their own back.

I know there were one or two other things as well, but I can't remember what they were. I think about a week later I got a puncture as well so needed a new tyre :lol:

Mine is due again in November... should sail past everything except the smoke test... but I'm hoping to have that fixed before hand. :shock:

#6 ·
Jeeze!!! If i'm honest i only know of my drop links being faulty as i have that annoying rattle after every bump in the road. just had new tyres, alternator and PAS pump that cost me a pretty penny so can't be doing with much else on the car

#8 ·
I knew about the shock, but didnt think it was that bad... didn't know about anything else... but the shock was apparently "beyond knackered". I thought it was more, slightly worn. :lol:

Only thing I know this year is the swirl flaps are knackered and thus causing government health warnings for toxic smoke everywhere I drive... Hopefully getting that sorted on pay day though so it should in theory pass. :lol:

#9 ·
all bulbs working fine, done 126k (i've done 12k of them). don't know when brakes were done as i haven't had them done yet. been treating it to some Millers for the last 5 tanks hoping emissions will be fine, i have no black/white smoke and she's running quite smoothly

#12 ·
You'll find out soon then :lol:

It was around 120-125k when I replacement my front discs and pads. Now on nearly 170k and the fronts are still pretty good. Rear pads have just been replaced but discs have loads of life left. Don't know when, if at all, they were last changed.

Mine's quite a motorway muncher though, so in comparison to a town car, the brakes don't get as much use over the same sort of miles :shrug:

#17 ·
PHONE CALL: failed on worn bushes on lower arms, nearside steering boot split, rear discs and pads worn to excess, and underinflated rear tyre (puncture). don't know a price yet, they said approx £250 inc labour

#21 ·
ok guys, all in...£120 inc vat and labour. according to mechanic its cheap because its not what you know, but who you know that counts. so now a happy bunny. two new rear discs and pads, 2 new lower arms...the boot split was just an advisory

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.