Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi lads.
My old Astra H is starting to have issues now so was thinking of a change. My Mrs likes the Astra so was thinking of a newer J model.
Not sure a diesel is best option as i really do not want the dpf issues.
Which petrol engine is the most reliable? Do the turbo models hold up?
Many thanks.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi

I went from an Astra H to a J and went for the 1.6 petrol engine (SRI). It’s great and as I purchased a 2011 which only had 36000 on the clock, thought it was a good deal.

Regards

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
990 Posts
IMO the A or B 16XER,(normally aspirated) but depending on what engine your H had she may find it a bit gutless

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I had the astra j 16XER in Sri trim level and found it an all round good engine and car. It is quite a bit heavier than the astra H so the little extra horse power of the vvt engine is lost. I didnt get as good a mpg as my previous astra H, but better luxury. It moves when needed in lower gears and high revs.

problems are;

Engine map thermostat (you are experienced in that Nick)

Coil Pack failure

Engine oil cooler gasket failure, causing oil contamination with engine coolant.

B1S2 02 sensor failure

Had all of the above as did a few of my mates with the same car. Also seen a few on here.

All jobs not mega bucks to sort if you get them. The wife will love it conpared to the H imho. H also a great car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got a 2011 1.6 petrol and was surprised by how sluggish and thirsy it is. 28mpg! I guess it’s pretty heavy. (Came from a Focus)
Make sure to have reversing sensors!
The built-in thermostat failed. And so did it’s budget replacement!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi lads.
Thanks for replying.
My current Astra has the Z16XEP. engine. Are the 1.6 litre engines in the J series much the same?

Yes Redman i am aware of the thermostat issues aren't we :LOL:. Do the latter engines still run very hot like my Z16XEP?

Are the turbo versions best left alone? The extra power is nice but not at the expense of reliability.

Would you guys rule out the diesel? She does a 40 mile round trip a day but it is on 'A' roads and not sure if dpf will regen with that.

To be frank ( please don't ban me ) i would rather she had a Honda or Toyota but she likes the Astra.

Many thanks.
Nick.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Yes the engines do still run hot,
i'm undecided on the direct injection turbo engines,i don't think they are particularly more unreliable that than the n/a engines but you do hear a lot about the stochastic pre ignition issues that are an expensive fix usually requiring a new engine,they have modified the ecm software and introduced the dexos 1 and now the OV0401547 to help get over the problems,personally i think a lot is down to how the cars are driven but have no real proof.
One good thing is that you hear more about the K's suffering from this than the J's,
we have an A16 XER and a B14NET and so far no issues other than a front caliper partially seizing this week but it's been doing next to no miles in the last few months so it's one of those things.
Regarding a diesel,if i was doing that sort of miles i'd risk it,
although i would get one with the old Izuzu 1.7 not a 1.3,1.6 or 2.0

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I don't think the astra j engines have petrol direct injection, may be wrong though, just port fuel injection. The petrol turbo engine on the j, I think are reasonably reliable, possibly more gearbox issues.

Can't comment on the diesel engines as I have never had one and don't intend on having one.

·
Registered
990 Posts
No you're correct Redman,for some reason i'd got 1.6's fixed in my brain, doh

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Lads
As always thanks for helping.
Looks like a standard, four cylinder 1.6 then. Diesel looks great on paper but i am just worried about problems down the line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts