Astra Owners Network banner

Mk5 Steering Wheel to Mk4 Conversion Plug n Play

6K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  gledy2 
#1 ·
#4 · (Edited)
Thanks. I enjoyed the challenge after being asked by so many after having done my Mk6 wheel

Superb work mate, thanks for taking the time to document and share.

Whats involved with getting the horn to work?
Thanks mate. This mod includes the horn working ;) It's a straight plug n play swap for the Mk4 wheel.

What would you charge if people sent you the switches and loom ?
im not a trader, so cant offer this service at the moment (Y)

EDIT: ^^^This was not my reply. It was replaced by Gary's 'edited' version which bears no resemblance to the original. I mentioned a price for this service but, as Gary has pointed out to me, unwittingly fell foul of a forum rule by doing so, me not having Trader status. Just thought you deserved this explanation.

#6 ·
You have your answer then ;)

I'm not sure about the diameter as I didn't compare them & I've sent the VXR wheel back to its owner now. It did seem quite compact though & if I had to guess I'd say it is smaller than the Mk4.

#17 ·
@teo25 : I can help you out with pics to go along with the How To. It will take me a while to sort them out for you so please be patient. I'll share them with you on the strict understanding they are not to be posted elsewhere. If you mean price for the pictures they are free. If you mean to carry out the conversion I don't do that these days but will help you along the way to enable you to do it yourself :)

#19 ·
No worries. Resistor tolerance is the accuracy of their value. So a 100 ohm resistor with a a tolerance of 0.1% will be anywhere from 99.95 - 100.05 ohms, with a tolerance of 1% will be anywhere from 99.5 - 100.5 ohms & with a tolerance of 5% will be anywhere from 97.5 - 102.5 ohms

#27 ·
he always was very secretive about how he done his mods, some he shared, some he didn't and quite rightly so. Some were unique and quite ingenius and took alot of effort to meet his exacting standards. maybe you'll be lucky

#28 ·
If anyone is interested , then on gumtree presently there is an astra vxr wheel with the single pin airbag, for sale, the seller says suited for a corsa, but it will suit the astra g no problem, it isn't converted but can be,

Looks like I might have to pull my switches to bits to find out how it was done lol, or give a set to a leccy expert.

B

#29 ·
Just to let you guys know I've answered 8bitdan's PM request for the pics. I've told him he's welcome to them. Just waiting to hear back on how he'd prefer for me to upload them. Hope you're all keeping well since I was last here having jumped ship for an Audi :couch:

#32 · (Edited)
Yeah good thanks Bri. You?

I love my little Audi. I've no regrets ending the Astra affair, just over the way it was brought about :twisted:

What you gonna do with the Audi alloys? It would mean a fair bit of work to get them on a Vauxhall

Good to know I've saved you the trouble of pulling your switches apart

So what Astra is on the cards now then eh?

JZ
Audis are awesome, not that I'm biased :)
100% agree but I'll always have fond memories of my Mk4 GSi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.