Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have looked and cant find anythin that helps.
i have a 1.7 dti. these have pure poo side mounts intercoolers.
I am looking at a cheapish upgrade.
I am considering trying a cdti intercooler but advice or measurements would be helpful.

from doing alot of looking and not finding much i think i can tell there are 3 1.7cdti intercoolers?
first 1 not much better than mine then 2 bigger 1's
1 has the pipes coming out the sides the other has them coming from the top this is Part no 13231458 and looks like the easiest 1 2 fit to my car pipe wise?
there then seems 2 be 2 1.9 cdti intercoolers these are simler 2 the 2 later 1.7 ones. 1 with pipes from the top and the other from the sides. (some people say 1 of these are the same as the vxr 1 but im not sure) again the 1 with the pipes out the top look easier to fit.
http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showthread.php?t=246851&page=2 from here it can be seen a vxr intercooler fits a gsi therefor a mk5 should fit a mk4?

does any1 have any additional information that would help me?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
or possibly a gsi intercooler because it would fit easily with out having 2 modify much. (or move or remove the aircon)
would prob be good enough to cool a 1.7 dti? what bhp are they seen to be good for?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea ive read that in a few places 2. the problem with it is i would need to change al the pipes im trying to keep it easy. thanks for the reply thou

·
Registered
15,498 Posts
Think whatever you do you'll have to change pipe work around.

On another note, the cdti intercooler is pretty small, I wouldn't imagine there is anything to gain by fitting it :shrug:

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
frontera fmic is a populer mod but if your going to fit one then your better off fitting a bit betterfmic to get a better cooling core for the engine.

you will be able to get a good size fmic on the front you could mount it off the crash bar and pipe it up accordingly just avoid too sharp a bend.

its always possible just take the bumper off and sit with a brew and say to yourself i will fit it in there lol like i did with mine lol

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the dti mk4 1 is tiny the images on ebay of the mk5 cdti 1s some look quite big.
dnt really no what to do. i might just put a gsi 1 on

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,715 Posts
Diesel and petrol intercoolers aren't always interchangeable, something to do with the internal piping of the intercooler being different, like the vxr cooler won't work with the 1.9 cdti despite them looking similar.

Best may be looking at the 2.9 dti intercooler as I would assume it would be larger than the 1.7s

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

·
AON - Administrator
59,287 Posts
You live and learn, I always thought the vxr and 1.9 cdti coolers were the same part :shrug:

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,715 Posts
The look the same but remember reading in here that there's small differences between them apparently. :shrug:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had a 1.7 dti before this 8v 1.9, the intercooler on mine looks like a good fit for the dti. In and out pipes at the top like on the 1.7, but instead of the long pipe running to bottom, the cooler itself is bigger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts