Astra Owners Network banner

101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
And now for a job not well done. Not happy with the bumper at all, it hasn’t turned out great.
Lesson learned, don’t spray in a freezing garage with an electric heater. The paint just wouldn’t stick and is really thin.
Ah well, it’s back on and at least I can drive it again. I’ll be saving up for a new bumper and getting it professionally sprayed.

Also need new rear wheel arch liners as the mounting areas on mine are ruined and the bumpers a little warped so doesn’t fit very well 🙄

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wouldn’t beat yourself up to much on the bumper repair compared to what was there you done a good job considering you have done it in a garage at home

There a lot of us out there that wouldn’t attempt the repair as it really would look 10x worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Wow. Just spent the last hour reading your thread. Cracking work. Definitely don't beat yourself up over the paint work, I've also had a go home spraying and mine came out the same dull effect. And mine was in the summer too.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Wow. Just spent the last hour reading your thread. Cracking work. Definitely don't beat yourself up over the paint work, I've also had a go home spraying and mine came out the same dull effect. And mine was in the summer too.
Thanks man, glad you like it. It’s getting me through lockdown peacefully.
Yeah the paint is what it is, it wasn’t ever going to look brilliant, I should have just spent a bit more time and care. Honestly I just wanted to drive it again and got impatient 🤦🏼‍♂️😆

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I was reading up on the oil cooler issues with 1.7s and that could be the cause of the oily coolant, so I’ve added a bypass to my list of jobs 👍🏻

·
Registered
9 Posts
And now for a job not well done. Not happy with the bumper at all, it hasn’t turned out great.
Lesson learned, don’t spray in a freezing garage with an electric heater. The paint just wouldn’t stick and is really thin.
Ah well, it’s back on and at least I can drive it again. I’ll be saving up for a new bumper and getting it professionally sprayed.

Also need new rear wheel arch liners as the mounting areas on mine are ruined and the bumpers a little warped so doesn’t fit very well 🙄

View attachment 34641
View attachment 34642
View attachment 34643
Honestly mate I think that is a cracking job with a rattle can, certainly looks much better than what you started with! The clear is probably a little thin and that's why you're not getting the mirror shine, but you would struggle to get a good wet coat down on something of that size with a rattle can.

Looking forward to seeing what's next 😁

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Apologies for the lack of updates guys. Furlough has me broke but back to work next month so hopefully things can pick up. Thank god I’ve got the garage gym or I think I’d be completely depressed.
Keep your heads up people 👍🏻
And big thanks to BarneyRussell for sending me a surprise centre arm rest 🙏❤

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Oh also I do have a couple of little jobs I can do before I go back so probably crack on next week with them.
coolant flush/clean
Oil change/engine flush
Headlight bulb 😆 (I’ll make a 3 page in depth ‘how to’ to drag it out)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oh also I do have a couple of little jobs I can do before I go back so probably crack on next week with them.
coolant flush/clean
Oil change/engine flush
Headlight bulb 😆 (I’ll make a 3 page in depth ‘how to’ to drag it out)
You have done a great job on the car. And as other people have mentioned, it is difficult to get a good finish with rattle cans. Especially metallic paint.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Finally got round to actually doing something and it is by far my least favourite job to do on cars (so far). Replaced the rear brake shoes.
before

After

Only thing that really gave me trouble was the first top spring on the shoes, next to the adjuster. That c##t did not wana go back in. But after that it was pretty smooth sailing. Handbrake adjusted and went for a short drive to bed them in a little. 👍🏻

More to come this week guys, sorry for the huge time gap of updates

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Coolant flush this morning in the sun (and ice wind 🥶).
came out not looking too terrible but lots of little bits of sediment.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Just changed my oil and filter after using the engine cleaner and a good drive to get it circulated.
And of course I didn’t account for the giant rogue gust of wind that blew my draining oil off course and onto my driveway 😑

Best budget tips to clean oil stains off block paving are welcome 🙏

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Another day in the sun getting bits done.
Spot the difference

Before:

After:

Did some De badging and after a lot of elbow grease, a toffee wheel, IPA, cutting compound and swearing! It looks a lot better. The outlines are still slightly visible but it started to rain and I’m shattered 🥵
I’ll go at it again another day.

Also got the heat gun out to try and bring some life back into the bump strips. Worked a treat!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Anyone had any experience with smoke spray cans for lights?
I have never used spray tint tbh. I would try the vinyl wrap tint first to see if i liked it. I don't think the spray tint can be removed once it has been applied.
You also have a larger choice of colours and effects with wraps over spray.

101 - 120 of 121 Posts