So the plan now is to separate an area in the garage with dust covers, get it as warm as I can and suspend the bumper from the roof on wire. Wet sand the whole bumper then prime, base coat and lacquer.
It’s not the ideal time of year for spraying a bumper but is what it is 🤷🏼♂️
Worst that can happen is I have to sand and try again.
It’s not perfect by any means, but it’s already a big improvement until the day I can afford a new professionally painted one.
This is what I got up to in between sanding and filling. My biggest mistake was cleaning the doorcards and then storing them in my garage 🤦🏼♂️ Filthy again!
And the bumper in 3 coats of primer. I’m going to let it dry overnight and see how it looks tomorrow. There’s still the slight bumpy outline of the crack visible, but it’s as flat as I’m ever going to get it.
When it’s time for base coat I’ll hang it up on the wires 👍🏻
I used to be in the motor trade, have a few useful contact , been away from it for 30 years now tho, plus one has his own body shop, I either worked with some of the guys that work for him or they are good mates, they aren’t cheap tho, back in 1998, charged me £120 to paint the roof on my vectra, after some **** bounced a brick off it
Not sure if you've now done the painting anyway, but I did some plastic mirror covers a few months back which came out nicely.
3 coats of filler primer, allowed to dry for 4 hours or so, wet sanded the primer with 1000 grit, then IPA wipe down. 3 coats of colour, dry for 30 minutes and then clear coat without any sanding. Let the clear coat dry for 48 hours and then wet sanded with 1000, 3000, 5000 grit, then polished to finish it off.
Lots of different opinions out there but this worked well for me. Looking forward to seeing the result 😁
Finally big progress with the bumper! 🙌🏻
Got some filler primer on this morning, then wet sanded (freezing) with 1000 grit. Cleaned and hung up in the garage (warmed up) and base coat applied. I had to do several thin coats as the cold weather means the paint didn’t stick brilliantly, but now with 3 coats of lacquer I think it looks pretty good.
Now I know it isn’t great, you can still make out repair lines and it’s a little out of shape, but from what was effectively a scrap bumper it’s a big improvement.
I brought the bumper inside this morning (while my partner was out 😅) for another day or so to cure and dry. Looks great. Needs wet sanding and polishing of course but I’m happy with it.
So today’s project has been new garage doors as my current ones are warped and a bit rotten. Got the doors cut and built and the new frame cut. I’ll tear down and fit tomorrow (weather dependent).