Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my mk4 1.6 16v has started a ticking noise that sounds like it's coming from one of the belt areas, think it might be the alternator on it's way out because the ticking noise is coming from that general area. Any ideas

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
You checked your oil levels, low oil makes a tap-ticking ??? if not that than yeah belt off You know how to get belt off? (remember to mark direction of travel before removal)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Could just be tappet noise but I reckon.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
If yours is younger then an 00 then it will be a Z16Xe engine, these have hydraulic lifters which are known to tick on these engines, infact most vauxhall engines tick from these lifters, best way ive found is take car for hard run and drop oil afterwards to try dislodge anything stuck up there starving the lifter of oil, if you listen carefully you will notice this tick very briefly on first cold star of the day as the oil makes it way round the engine, but its only very very very brief, you can try some oil additive that will clean lifters,

ive never tried any aditive ive either tried the method i said above or just replaced em, or with my cars case not bothered at all and left them, they were fine for the extra 8K i did be for she got weighed in

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
nah if its younger than 00 it will be the x16xel engine.. and in the colder months, the hydraulic lifters will tap when cold. mine does it when its really cold. but goes after a few seconds. it it dosent disapear within a few secs it aint going to be the lifters. probably a belt or engine oil low. rob.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
nah if its younger than 00 it will be the x16xel engine.. and in the colder months, the hydraulic lifters will tap when cold. mine does it when its really cold. but goes after a few seconds. it it dosent disapear within a few secs it aint going to be the lifters. probably a belt or engine oil low. rob.
Luke was correct, pre 2000 are X16XEL, younger ones are Z16XE :p

·
Registered
4,078 Posts

how is it younger then 00 its X series considering the Z is a younger generation of engine

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Havnt been logged on for a while, thanks for all the advice. On my next days of work ill be giving.g the car a good going over and see whats what. As for the oil levels iv only just serviced the car so ill defo check with the belt off, again many thanks

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Its an x series engine. Z is the modern engines a of about 2000

Could be the belt tensioner although my mates x16xe taps like hell but tappets etc hae been replace, so has the belt tensioners etc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts