Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 8" Active Kenwood tube sub from my Mk4, but it's far too big for the H, as I need all my boot space for carting buggy etc about.

So I was thinking of one of the flat active subs such as the Alpine SWE-1000 (or older version 2nd hand), Ground Zero GZUB 800ACT, Kenwood KSC-SW10 etc.

Could mount to the back of a rear seat or perhaps underneath the rear shelf?

Are these any good, or will the extra bass all get lost between the boot and my ears due to the lower output from the smaller enclosure etc. I would either go high level from the CD30mp3, or install my old Pioneer P6700mp to use the sub out and high pass filter. But that's £100 just to swap with adaptors etc.

Any advice / experience welcome! :)

·
A.O.N. - Platinum Member
38,432 Posts
In my opinion they are not that great, the ones I have heard in the past have not given any more bass than an amped set of 6x9's

1 option you have is to fit it under your seat rather than in your boot, other than that I would stay away,

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Your right, there not great for the cost new better second hand. They help a little if fixed under the front seats; really it’s the CD30 that’s the problem. Even the OEM speakers sound better with a half descent aftermarket head unit.

Just pricing up a double din fitting kit for my Zafiy, £96.50 best price I can find. Then £200 on top for head unit. Canbus is a pain in the backside. :mad:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well if you decide to go for the alpine i have one in my garage that i took out my old car when i sold it that i could give you a good price on. I would admit it wasnt amazing bass but it gave you that little extra.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I would admit it wasnt amazing bass but it gave you that little extra.

Hay men too that “amazing bass” Sorry just me I read it as “amazing grace” (a)
As said they do help, when fitted under the driver seat. Second hand is the way to go, not worth the new price. So grab a bargain, could always sell it on flebay if you’re not happy adamduk. (Y)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like what I expected - is there enough room under the seat though? I might be interested in the Alpine for sure, whereabouts did you have it installed? :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Picked up the Alpine and finally fitted this over the weekend. It just goes under the rear pax seat (sticking out a bit) but does mean you can't tilt the chair. It fills out the bottom end nicely, and means the bass control on the CD30 can be left at 0. Just need to find an ignition live or try and use the AA output on the CD30 as my 12V socket black wire is only live when the headlights are on.

I agree that with an upgraded H.U and speakers it's not really worth it, but it's nice and stealthy and better than I expected it to be so I'm happy :) For my subsonic fix (<20hz) I'll just turn on my Monolith home subwoofer instead :blink:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Ignition live is easy, either take it off the black wire behind your light switch; or even better if you pop out your 12v lighter socket you will find a spare white plug on a black wire, this too is switched live (for most it normaly is).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts