Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Courtenay Sport recommend this for the F23, has anyone tried it and found that it made the gearchange really stiff in winter? i've found a couple of VW sourced posts saying it does but that's it so far, its fine when warm so don't think there's a problem with the gearbox.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Courtenay Sport recommend this for the F23, has anyone tried it and found that it made the gearchange really stiff in winter? i've found a couple of VW sourced posts saying it does but that's it so far, its fine when warm so don't think there's a problem with the gearbox.
Isn't 75w or 75w-80 the recommended viscosity? If so, a 75w-90 could make for a baulkier gearchange when the oil is cold, especially in winter.

Cheers,

Guy

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very possibly, i just went by what information they put on their blog, forgive my ignorance but isn't the 75w for cold and 80/90w for when warm? even in winter its fine when a mile or so down the road its up to that that its really stiff.

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
There is certainly nothing wrong with using the original Vauxhall stuff for the F23 gearboxes, if you just want reliability. I know of several running fairly high power that have lasted for many years with just a swap carried out using the standard oil.
I have 3 of them, 2 of which have been happy at just over 320 BHP so it does the job sufficiently and there are no shifting issues when cold.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Ayresyy

Thanks for the info, i wanted to try some fully synthetic as even from a year or so old my gearshift has been a bit notchy (so my brother said at the time) now and then, i've had the gearstick rebushed, new gear cables, a quick shift fitted and although better its still not great at times (other times its nice and smooth) maybe that's just F23's in general?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Normally the recommended but this time i tried the full 2 litres, i was thinking of going the full 2 litres again?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts