Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as the title suggests, my key fob has gone a bit funny today, the mechanism which locks and unlocks the blade is not functioning correctly, ie it is stuck in its place and the spring doesn't seem to be working fine. There are no problems with the locking, unlocking and starting the car. would this be covered under warranty? I think all it needs is opening the fob and cleaning and putting it back together, or a new housing.

your thoughts are much appreciated..

Astra J SE 60 reg, 29k

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, will do, but I need to know if it would be covered under warranty or not.. I need to go there prepared :look:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Isn't this only covered in the first 12 months

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Barbarian, are you talking about opening the fob altogether? If so, how do I do that? I have been searching on google and there are tons of stuff for other types of fobs but couldn't find a single thing for new astra or insignia type of fobs. so if you can give a little more information that would be great..

many thanks for the comments all..

·
Registered
133 Posts
ill have a look wether the flip key is the same as ive had this issure before due to key comming apart

looks similar just alittle bit different on the shape but same set up, just flip the key out and gently pull the key apart dont force it or you will damage the clips inside it or the spring will jump so far you will spend hours finding it, another thing make sure everything goes back the way you found it.

After you got key fob apart you want to place the key so that vauxhal budge faces you and put it back together without clipping the case in place, hard part make sure key is in the folded position and the spring is on its stopper or whatever it is, judging from my key you need to spin the fob anti clock wise try to get more that one full turn but its imposible to exceed two full turns, then click the fob into place its abit awkard but will work and excuse my crap explanation

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I must be really unlucky, or the vauxhall dealers in my area are incompetent..

I took my key to a dealer, and they agreed to order a replacement under warranty, which was just before Christmas. 4 months later (I rung them once to check the status - it was under order), my key arrived and today they replaced it after keeping the car for about two hours (re-programming I suppose).

Guess what, the replacement key fob works fine, but whatever they did today, my other key which I have been using is no more functioning (i.e. no lock, unlock, start the car.. absolutely nothing). It says "Service Theft Deterant System" on the display.

I guess they changed the immobiliser code or something on the car, rendering the other key useless. I contacted them and I will be going back next week but it's just waste of time and journey. they have not even apologised. they are useless.

Does anybody know how to re-program the other key? I searched on the net and seen suggestions about inserting the key, turning to position two and unlocking the doors but that didn't work, which works for earlier models I suppose.

It might be just me but so far I had to deal with two different vauxhall dealers and they both have been nightmare, I can't remember how many times I visited them in total..

Astra SE, 2010, mk6 (J)

·
Banned
1,322 Posts
Does anybody know how to re-program the other key? I searched on the net and seen suggestions about inserting the key, turning to position two and unlocking the doors but that didn't work, which works for earlier models I suppose.
Astra SE, 2010, mk6 (J)
The only times this seems to work is if the key is programmed to the car already and just needs the lock/ unlock buttons relearned to the car.
Although in the hidden menus there is this

If you didn't leave them all the keys you have for the car then they can't reprogram them back to the car.

They will need all the keys this is what happens.

1.they enter you 4 four digit code
2.the computer erases all keys
3.they then have to program all the keys one by one.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I wonder if this is a common problem? I collected my GTC last Monday and already the folding key is very loose, and feels quite flimsy. It works fine but the key part feels as though it's likely to come detached from the fob any time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts