Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All AONers, I'm sorry in advance if this thread has already been discussed, but I can't find an answer anywhere in the forum.

Massive question: has any of you, kind Sirs/Dames, ever claimed any money from the council for repairing your mighty vehicle? Here's why.

As I was casually driving down a freshly re-surfaced dual carriageway this morning (namely A449 from Worcester to Kidderminster), a white van cretin overtaken me in the 50 mph area (I drove a couple of miles below the limit) spraying the front of my car with chippings, left behind by the uber-clever highway maintenance folk in hope, that us, the drivers, will finish the job for them. After muttering some abuse (junior sat in the back seat and didn't want to pollute his innocent ears with obscenities, such as 'you flipping end of a bell', so I preferred to talk to myself, just to feel a bit better) I focused on driving. After dropping junior at school I went to run some errands and proceeded home, which, at the same time serves me as office. Later on I left home to pick the kid up from school and, lo and behold, I discovered a number of stone chips on my bonnet and a windscreen. Called the insurer and got sent to Autoglass, who advised me, that since I've got 5 chips, it will be recommended to replace the ******** thing, but I have to pay my windscreen replacement excess of £75.00. FFS!! :mad::mad::mad::mad: Ok, fine, one's gotta do what one's gotta do. I've got the Autoglass fella coming on Tursday morning to replace the windscreen, but here's my question: is there any way I can get Worcs County Council to reimburse me for the damage, as they would've done with a pot hole? Now, I realise that a pot hole incident is a lot easier to prove and one can physically point to it (a pot hole), but surely, the council would keep a record on when the new surface has been laid and when they've taken down the loose chippings signs? Has any of you ever tried wrestling with a council over a damaged car?

Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Were there any speed limit / warning signs on the road?

If so then the council have taken reasonable steeps to prevent damage & its the other drivers fault for not complying.

·
Premium Member
59,266 Posts
I haven't done it personally but my best friend did. He had an identical experience to you when driving his Sapphire Cosworth on a road that had been laid for about a fortnight. The signs were still present with a 20mph limit. With fairly minimal fuss Durham County Council paid for a new screen and a full respray

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Were there any speed limit / warning signs on the road?

If so then the council have taken reasonable steeps to prevent damage & its the other drivers fault for not complying.

Yes there were and I appreciate what you saying about the culpability of a driver, but I didn't even think of writing down/memorising his details. Surely council should've taken care of any loose gravel on the road and the contractors shoud've been made to sweep the remaining chippings? Roads are councils' responsibility, are they not?

I haven't done it personally but my best friend did. He had an identical experience to you when driving his Sapphire Cosworth on a road that had been laid for about a fortnight. The signs were still present with a 20mph limit. With fairly minimal fuss Durham County Council paid for a new screen and a full respray
Ah, @MollyGoogle, you've just restored my faith in just treatment of the innocent road users. I'm not sure I've seen the 20 mph speed limits signs, they might've been taken down by now, but I'm sure I've seen the 50 mph ones with a skid warning included. In this case, I'll drive over there tomorrow with one of my mates and get him to photograph them, if still present.

·
AON Resident Cynic
14,656 Posts
You'd be amazed how quickly large organisations comply with small claims if you submit one to the county court. To defend it they need to pay their solicitors, their staff for liaising with solicitors, representatives' travel expenses, etc. Generally it's cheaper just to write you a cheque to go away. Though if it did go to court I can't see it being very easy to prove tbh, but regardless, costs are only really awarded in small claims if the claim is vexatious so you've nothing to lose.

Some people will approach it through letters of complaint, threats of legal action, that sort of thing. That'll never get you anywhere.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I think you'll find the 20mph signs they put up are advisory limits, not compulsory.

Hence why white van man, company car driver, and anyone else whose vehicle doesn't belong to them often ignore them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You'd be amazed how quickly large organisations comply with small claims if you submit one to the county court. To defend it they need to pay their solicitors, their staff for liaising with solicitors, representatives' travel expenses, etc. Generally it's cheaper just to write you a cheque to go away. Though if it did go to court I can't see it being very easy to prove tbh, but regardless, costs are only really awarded in small claims if the claim is vexatious so you've nothing to lose.

Some people will approach it through letters of complaint, threats of legal action, that sort of thing. That'll never get you anywhere.
Cheers @scotty, this is exactly what I hope for. I've contacted them this morning and the lady I spoke to was quite apologetic. She asked me to write an official statement and provide any photographic evidence I can gather, so I'm heading out to take a few pictures of loose gavel scattered around the place it happened. Hopefully it'll get me somewhere.

I think you'll find the 20mph signs they put up are advisory limits, not compulsory.

Hence why white van man, company car driver, and anyone else whose vehicle doesn't belong to them often ignore them.
Good point @Big Dave. It only shows their attitude towards someone else's property, may it be another driver or a company vehicle they drive. I always believed in common sense, you see, so even without the road signs I wouldn't have ploughed through the loose stones 70 mph. But I guess some people really need a "do not drink" warning on a bottle of Domestos :shrug:.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.