Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per the other thread I have today started the lsp test in the wort possible conditions to polish a car in (blazing Sun so pics are at a minimum as everything was curing super fast)
The 5 that were chosen were:
Auto finesse tough cost
Auto finesse power seal
Angel wax dark temptation
Sonax shine and protect
Soft 99 king of gloss

So I start by snow foaming the car with bilt hamber auto foam which is my favourite foam that I've tried, it cleans well and smells decent so it's a winner in my eyes.
This was followed by a wash with auto finesse lather which is my least favourite shampoo that I have, it smells ok, cleans ok and is well enough lubed but for me isn't a patch on sonax red summer.
Once dry the bonnet was clayed with auto finesse clay with finale as lube this didn't pull much off the car as it only had a full decontamination and clay before tfs. The bonnet was washed again with the same product as before.
Polishing came next which was a nightmare as the panel temps were way too high but I soldiered on, products of choice were Scholl s30+ on a black hex pad this worked very well at adding gloss and removing small swirls but didn't touch the deepest marks but I never expected it to.
Next was to prepare the paint for the lsp's this involved a wipe down with auto finesse rejuvenate
Products used so far

Bonnet pre lsp

Now came to applying the lsp.
First up was auto finesse tough coat a traditional spray sealant, application is spray on spread leave to cure (about 5 min today) and buff off. It's very easy to over apply and is a little smeary when buffing. Looks wise it doesn't really add anything to the finish of the paint at all and I generally use this as a base to wax over.

Next was Angel wax dark temptation.
This is a very nice wax to use and along with Angel wax desirable it's my favourite traditional wax. Dark temptation has a lovely chocolate smell spreads very easy and buffs of very easily too it's just a dream to use I'd recommend this very highly! Looks wise it gives the warmest wettest look of all the products tested today.

Next up is sonax shine and protect, this is a aerosol spray. Application is very easy, spray on a foam applicator spread on the paint leave and buff when cured. Buffing is a little grabby but nothing that would put me off using it. Looks wise it gives a very sterile shine

4th up was soft99 king of gloss. This product along with fusso has a huge amount of hype around it at the moment and I was very keen to try it after being impressed by fusso. Application is very easy one dab of the applicator was enough to comfortably do the entire section, like most waxs you want this as this as possible and its much better to apply then buff straight off if you leave this to cure you'll have arms like Arnie trying to buff it off! As long as you don't leave it too long buffing is nice and easy if a little grabby again. Looks wise you get a great shine from this which is very hard to capture in pictures especially on a phone

Last up we have auto finesse power seal.
This is a little different as it needs to applied by machine to get best results from it. Today I chose to apply with a chemical guys blue hex pad, it's very easy to apply a couple of quick passes on the da and you're done, leave to cure and buff off. Buffing is very easy again and the finish is slightly more glossy than tough coat but nothing to write home about.

A pic of the finished bonnet as a whole, again apologise as my phone camera really doesn't show up the subtle differences in finish so you'll just have to take my word for it :lol:

This test will continue till they fail as a control I will use the same auto finesse later as shampoo for the duration of this test and the bonnet will receive no qd top ups because this will mask any differences in durability and water behaviour.

Thanks for reading

·
Premium Member
23,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure what was more hard work doing that to the car or typing that post out on my phone

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,716 Posts
Would have thought a black pad would have been too soft for vag paint as its a finishing pad?

But Nicely done, I await the results

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
23,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea it had a hit of s3 on a microfiber pad before tfs so just wanted to get some of the finer stuff out
It'll need a lot of work to get it defect free I'm just happy it's ten times better than when I picked it up when it was almost flat grey with no shine or metallic sparkle

·
27,716 Posts

KoG and butter wet after a week on the car( butter wet on one half of the bonnet) no visible differences soo far.

·
Premium Member
23,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm still waiting for rain or for it to get dusty enough to wash

·
27,716 Posts
mines is already dusty enough to wash but the good thing is none of it is actually sticking ot the paint, can still brush it off with your finger :D

·
Premium Member
23,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't do that you'll put more swirls in it

Might wash it tomorrow afternoon

·
27,716 Posts
It was only on the spoiler just to see if it was just dust or dried in.

Plus whole car still needs the full works to get some of the more ingrained marks out.

But that will prob wait

·
Premium Member
23,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep the superb is the same needs a really heavy polish to get the paint back perfect again

·
27,716 Posts
You'll have a harder time than me tho, Alfa paint is soft like vx paint so really doesn't need much effort

·
Premium Member
23,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea it's rock hard and a pain to remove defects before tfs it got 5 or 6 sets with a microfiber cutting pad and even that wasn't enough

·
27,716 Posts
Tony's barge came up alright with the small section I did in the car park after s few passes

·
Premium Member
23,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I'm up for scs I'll have to have a go see if the cg stuff has enough cut

·
Premium Member
23,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Beading from tough coat(far left) dark temptation (center) sonax far right

King of gloss (center) power seal (far right)

·
Premium Member
23,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So after being ridiculously busy I manged to give the car a wash again today and check how this test is coming on.

I expected the test to go on for quite some time to be honest but the results were quite shocking today

As you can only soft99 king of gloss is actually doing anything over the whole panel the rest have all but failed completely.

So my conclusion from this test is that the manufacturer claimes for these lsp's are complete nonsense as none of them have achieved even close to what they are meant to. From start to finish I've covered about 1500 miles so not exactly galactic miles and they just haven't lived up to expectations

·
Premium Member
23,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep to say the sonax is rated at 6 months plus and both auto finesse sealants are ment to similar

The wax I expect to fail first same with kog. I honestly expect either sonax or tough coat to last the longest

1 - 20 of 20 Posts