Astra Owners Network banner

Lost my main key Astra G

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  AstraMX 
#1 · (Edited)
Recently I lost my main key, including of course the physical key, the remote control and the transponder inside them.

I still have the spare though

1) Is there a DIY way to rekey my Astra? Buy new key including transponder, remote control circuit, and blade. I've seen some on Aliexpress but idk if they could work correctly.

Of course I would have to cut the physical key correctly, program the transponder and the control.

2) Maybe I could convert my spare key into a remote controlled one, a new remote control circuit and shell would be needed and somewhat modify the spare key blade to fit the shell.

Thanks C:

EDIT: Is an OPCOM mandatory to program keys and fob?

#3 ·
You can use tech 2 instead of Op-Com for key programming, but it would need to
I don't have a Tech 2 though :/

But I'm looking to buy an Opcom, cheaper option it seems.

Programming keys is only viabe, via Tech 2 and Opcom?

Some local autolocksmith guys sent me a quote and they are not using Opcom or Tech 2, I don't know if trust them or not

#4 ·
There are lots of options for programming ID40 chips,many pro systems have the capability,
the chips can also be cloned by various means.
Opcom is often mentioned because it's a cheap way to DIY key programming,
it's also damm useful for lots of other programming and diagnostics,the problem nowadays is finding one that works,
a few years ago there were plenty available that had genuine chips on the PCB,nowadays most run fake chips
and hacked firmware so tend to be more of a problem in general.

#5 · (Edited)
Ok, I'll try to get an Opcom shortly, maybe buy 2 from aliexpress and test which one works, but of course this takes a while considering the shipping times.

Meanwhile, I think I'll have a local shop rekey it.

One question, I have my Car pass with my Inmovilizer code. Currently the car should have 2 keys, the one I lost and the spare one.

It can be possible to delete the lost key, and reprogram my spare and ney key, right? Should be the expected behaviour.

Even though the Car pass code is the same on the lost and new key, the lost key has already been deleted as far the car knows.

EDIT: Of course the physical door locks will still know the physical key code, but oh well, at least the car can't be started.

#6 ·
It's the usual practice to delete all keys before programming back in any old ones then add any new,
in fact on the later Astras Insignias etc it's not possible to add keys without deleting all stored first.
The physical lock is a different problem,but as you say at least the car won't start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.