Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have a 55 plate. 1.9 petrol Astra H. And I seem to be going through quite abit of oil. I don’t seem to have any leaks and it’s not showing signs of head gasket. So not sure what it is. Has anyone else had this issue and know what it could be?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
A 1.9 petrol engine. Can you confirm that's correct and it's not a 1.9 diesel? A petrol engine of that size should be a 1.8 or 2.0

Current Mileage?
How many miles per litre?
Vauxhall specify their engines can consume a up to a litre of oil every 1000 miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah 1.9 petrol. Well that’s what the log book says lol.
My mileage is around 75,000.
I didn’t know you could burn oil and it could be normal. Never lost oil on other cars that’s why I thought I had something wrong. I am probably burning around 1 litre every thousand miles to be honest mate.
I just worry cause I don’t have much luck with cars

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A 1.9 petrol engine. Can you confirm that's correct and it's not a 1.9 diesel? A petrol engine of that size should be a 1.8 or 2.0

Current Mileage?
How many miles per litre?
Vauxhall specify their engines can consume a up to a litre of oil every 1000 miles.
It is a 1.8 mate sorry. I dunno why I thought it was a 1.9.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Do you know what grade oil is currently in it?

No two engines are ever the same. My old 2004 Vectra-C 2.2 petrol had 36,000 miles on it when it got written off. It used a litre of oil every 2000 to 2500 miles. I bought a replacement 2006 Vectra-C 2.2 petrol that also unfortunately got written off when the engine was on 106,000 miles. That engine didn't use any oil between 10,000 mile services.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you know what grade oil is currently in it?

No two engines are ever the same. My old 2004 Vectra-C 2.2 petrol had 36,000 miles on it when it got written off. It used a litre of oil every 2000 to 2500 miles. I bought a replacement 2006 Vectra-C 2.2 petrol that also unfortunately got written off when the engine was on 106,000 miles. That engine didn't use any oil between 10,000 mile services.
No way. That’s so unlucky mate. Hopefully you will have better luck with cars from now on.
I currently have 5w30 in it.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
It was 6 years between each of them being written off. The 2nd Vectra was caused by a muntjac not using the green cross code and stepping out in front of the car on the A34 bypass.

You might want to try using a slightly thicker oil. Hopefully someone else might have a suggestion what to change it to.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was 6 years between each of them being written off. The 2nd Vectra was caused by a muntjac not using the green cross code and stepping out in front of the car on the A34 bypass.

You might want to try using a slightly thicker oil. Hopefully someone else might have a suggestion what to change it to.
No way mate that’s so unlucky. To many idiots about.
Yeah I’ll speak to a garage or Vauxhall see if they have recommendations. Thanks mate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts