Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above and am sure some of you have seen from some of my other threads, I am in the market for an estate, ideally an SRi XP one.

Got a couple of choices really on engines, either 1.7 or 1.8, just wanted to know what peoples opinions are of both really.

I have done some research into the 1.7 and know what the cambelt changes are etc. However, can't seem to work out online what they are for the 1.8. If I get a 1.8 it will be a later pre-facelift SRi and maybe even a facelift VVT. What are the cambelt intervals?

Also had a few people say the economy and fuel consumption on the 1.8 is pretty high, are they really that bad? My 1.4 now does around 350 to a tank, from full to light coming on. Surely the 1.8 can't be that bad?

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
My 1.8 has pushed 400 modded. Normaly 280-300 and thats heavy right footed, inlarged intake and de-cat straight through exhaust. On average with urban and rural driving i can get 350 average but it really hates town! 250 if i'm only doing town driving

Belt change is 60k or 5 years i think ( dont qoute)

Both engines are very solid though. No faults with my xer and the 1.7 is a isusu unit so bullets look like bb's

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We really only do 20-30 miles a week around town as it is, longer at weekend when we go to the other halfs parents but even then thats only a 65 mile journey either way.

Way I look at it is I currently get 100 miles per 1/4 tank on mine, if I got that from a 1.8 I'd be happy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I drive a 2009 1.8 auto. I mainly do short journeys to from work, about 6.5 miles each way on 30 and 40mph roads. I average about 26 to 27 mpg. In eighteen months of ownership I have not done a long journey in it. My son did borrow it for one week to drive from Southampton to Kings Lynn (approx 190miles) and he did it there and back on one tankful. He was alone in the car with just a bag of clothes for the week. And he kept to speed limits, got to watch his points.

HTH

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
We really only do 20-30 miles a week around town as it is, longer at weekend when we go to the other halfs parents but even then thats only a 65 mile journey either way.

Way I look at it is I currently get 100 miles per 1/4 tank on mine, if I got that from a 1.8 I'd be happy.
I would say not a deisel then. It wont warm properly in that time and your millage doesnt make it seam a good plan tbh. Petrol ftw but dont expect 100 per 1/4 in town

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys.

No idea what my 1.4 is currently doing in terms of MPG as we very rarely actually fill the car up due to not needing to, plus it doesn't have a trip computer.

I personally would be happier with a petrol, far less to go wrong than on a diesel.

·
Registered
307 Posts
1.7 (100) here. at the moment I am doing 80% short town journeys (6 miles to work and back + some shopping) and rest is A roads. 440 to a tank. Couple of weeks back I done 70% of tank motorway driving (70 max) and rest in town - managed 560 miles.

When I am doing mostly town driving it really does not matter if I drive like granny or not - average is 440 to a tank.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know what the cambelt change is on the 1.8 VVT 140bhp model? Going to look at one Saturday with near 60k which is 5 years old so would be useful to know if its due a cambelt or not.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just found on eBay the following and wondered if anyone can confirm the engine code for the car and also the belt change interval:

Z18XER - 100,000 miles or 10 years?

This sound about right?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Does anyone know what the cambelt change is on the 1.8 VVT 140bhp model? Going to look at one Saturday with near 60k which is 5 years old so would be useful to know if its due a cambelt or not.
I'd look to change the cambelt anyway not worth the risk for the sake of a couple of hundred quid

1 - 10 of 10 Posts