Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening everyone,

Just thought of a topic and was curious to see everyones replies and opinions.

Locking wheel nuts; there to prevent people from stealing your wheels by having a 'special' head only a specific key can undo.

Don't get me wrong I have locking wheel nuts on my car and if they were damaged or what-have-ya I would probably if not definitly replace them.
However what I want to know is...

If someone was going to the extent of stealing your alloys, surely they would break into your car to get the locking wheel nut key out of your glove box? what are people's thoughts on this?

Also there are going to be some aftermarket keys that will be the same as other thousands of people out there, so who's saying the thieves havn't aready got a key to fit?

Where do people store their keys and has anybody ever had an attempted alloy theft?

Let the debate begin :D

·
A.O.N. - Platinum Member
38,432 Posts
personally i think that if someone is iontent on stealing your wheels or your car. There is not much you can dio to stop them. The best you can do is hope top slow them down. Thats why i have 2 sets of locking wheel nuts on my alloys. Not telling ou where the keys are though:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I sat in my flat a couple of years ago watching a couple removing a motors wheels outside and propping the car up on bricks, if i hadn't seen it myself i wouldn't have thought it ever happened but have had locking nuts ever since, it was comedy when the guy who's car it was came out and chased them down the street...

·
Registered
681 Posts
Best to keep the LWN key in a safe place in the car as i do (Y), i bet no criminal would find it either!! I think you'd be mad not to use them its not just the alloys there after its the tyres a mate of mine got his rusty old steelies pinched for the tyres!!! :eek:

·
Registered
508 Posts
If theives really want your alloys, they will drill through your locking nuts!! happened to a neighbours m3

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
If theives really want your alloys, they will drill through your locking nuts!! happened to a neighbours m3
he didnt hear someone drilling at 2 in the morning

·
AON - Full Member
3,976 Posts
As said i would use them, If two cars are parked side by side, one with locking nuts, and one with out, both the same set of wheels, which would they steal? its not about stopping them (as said if someone wants them that bad they will do anything to get them) its about deterring them or slowing them down.

Halloween last year on the way to work, theres an old petrol station were quite a few people park there cars when they are selling them as its quite a busy road, drove past it late on the Saturday night (Halloween night) and on the sunday morning it was siting on the brake disks :lol: it was on standard saxo wheels too :nah:

Though i dont leave the keys in the glove box, and the only time my car is sitting out is when its at a friends house, school or work, and i park it were i can see it. when its at home its in a locked garage :lol:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Nothing was heard, no alarm went off and they left the bolts(what was left of them) lined up by his front door as souvenirs lol

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have the opposite problem. I can't get my wheels off :shock:
Just spent £30.00 on a new socket as I broke the first one and now thats had it too.

The wheels are so tight even the trye garage can't get them off:(

what can I do ?????

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I have the opposite problem. I can't get my wheels off :shock:
Just spent £30.00 on a new socket as I broke the first one and now thats had it too.

The wheels are so tight even the trye garage can't get them off:(

what can I do ?????
If you haven't got a spinning collar on then you could have a look at the reverse thread locking wheel nut removal tool that Halfrauds sell for £10-12ish - this would tighten on as you turn

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
thieves rarley go fo the first car they see,they will drive around and check cars to see whatsort of security,locking wheel bolts and location,also they will usualy check over a few days to make sure that the car is in the same place.once they have this info they will target that car,most wheels are stolen to order as alloy wheels are very difficult to identify once they have been removed,sometimes a gang will travel a 100 miles case the area and come back at a later date,the traveling cost will be absorbed once the wheels have been sold on,and as they dont live local there will not be any report of that type of wheel being stolen,so the answer is yes keep your locking wheel bolts on,and also dont let a garage air line near your wheel bolts,get a torque wrench and do them up that way

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have the std vx locking bolts and they got past that with little or no noise. how annoyed was i ???

left the car up on a jack and I was left with 3 wheels on my wagon.

now have two sets on each wheel

1 - 17 of 17 Posts