Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
First full day in the , J . That electric handbrake is an abortion, who thought that up . Handbrake turns are obviously out but I'd hate to sit a driving test with this set-up too , a proper hill start , could be fun. .

I have a button for to reset the trip guage but where the dickens is the dispaly for the trip guage?

Don't start me on the radio , it is almost as if someone has decided to make the fuctionality , awkward. .:twisted:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I advice you to read the manual atleast before coming on here typing that stuff.

You can change the displays in the board computer on the left switch where the maximum beam is activated, there is a wheel there, you have to rotate it to switch between gauges and press the button on the outside part to reset the data.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I advice you to read the manual atleast before coming on here typing that stuff.

You can change the displays in the board computer on the left switch where the maximum beam is activated, there is a wheel there, you have to rotate it to switch between gauges and press the button on the outside part to reset the data.
^^What Nyox sez^^
Read the manual bud......

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
there is the argument that you shouldnt have to read the manual, technology should be sufficiently intuitive these days to be obvious how it works. you dont get a manual with microsoft windows do you‽

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there is the argument that you shouldnt have to read the manual, technology should be sufficiently intuitive these days to be obvious how it works. you dont get a manual with microsoft windows do you‽
Yes , of course , that is assuming that the data is in the manual in the first place. It just shouldn't be that difficult to fing the trip guage. .

If only I had got another H , instead. .:|

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
ST I would agree with Blink (John)

You shouldn't have to read a manual to find basic things. The technology part and advanced settings, maybe yes, a half hour sit down and play. What are you supposed to do on the move, dig the book out from the glovebox?

I get you about the handbrake. I almost crashed one in the dealership. it's very poor.

Is yours brand new? I thought on the MY13 they were ditching the electronic parking brake. Or am I just hopeful.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ST I would agree with Blink (John)

You shouldn't have to read a manual to find basic things. The technology part and advanced settings, maybe yes, a half hour sit down and play. What are you supposed to do on the move, dig the book out from the glovebox?

I get you about the handbrake. I almost crashed one in the dealership. it's very poor.

Is yours brand new? I thought on the MY13 they were ditching the electronic parking brake. Or am I just hopeful.
No , not brand new Nello , a year old. What the traditional trip reset button does is obviously a bit arcane but I have now found how to work the hawnbrake. .

It is , as if the car is trying to be clever and making a bit of a hash of it . It has vastly better storage space than the H but it seems that H drivers are much friendlier. .;)

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts
First full day in the , J . That electric handbrake is an abortion , FFF , who thought that up . Handbrake turns are obviously out but I'd hate to sit a driving test with this set-up too , a proper hill start , could be fun. .

I have a button for to reset the trip guage but where the f*** is the dispaly for the trip guage?

Don't start me on the radio , it is almost as if someone has decided to make the fuctionality , awkward. .:twisted:
The electric handbrake is a bit of a weird one, but it's something I've got used to over time. The hill start assist doesn't rely on the EPB switch as I believe it has a tilt sensor that knows if you're pointing uphill or downhill and automatically applies the regular brakes until you accelerate to pull off. It's a weird feeling, again, but something you'll get used to hopefully :)

The display for the trip gauge should be accessible by "twisting" the instrument stick on the left, the one you use to indicate with the "menu" button on the front of it. If it doesn't cycle you through a list of about 7 options, press that menu button to move away from the oil life/something else menu and twist it again, it should bring you to the trip computer(s) in options 2 & 3 of 7

As for the radio, I don't know if you've got the same one I did as I didn't go for anything fancy like satnav or colour screen - but the CD300 (or 400, can't remember without looking) is one of those thats easy to use on the face of it but if you need to adjust any of the finer settings or navigate your way around ipod playlists, or a USB drive the controls do seem a little counterintuitive - but again, it's something I've got used to now.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The electric handbrake is a bit of a weird one, but it's something I've got used to over time. The hill start assist doesn't rely on the EPB switch as I believe it has a tilt sensor that knows if you're pointing uphill or downhill and automatically applies the regular brakes until you accelerate to pull off. It's a weird feeling, again, but something you'll get used to hopefully :)

The display for the trip gauge should be accessible by "twisting" the instrument stick on the left, the one you use to indicate with the "menu" button on the front of it. If it doesn't cycle you through a list of about 7 options, press that menu button to move away from the oil life/something else menu and twist it again, it should bring you to the trip computer(s) in options 2 & 3 of 7

As for the radio, I don't know if you've got the same one I did as I didn't go for anything fancy like satnav or colour screen - but the CD300 (or 400, can't remember without looking) is one of those thats easy to use on the face of it but if you need to adjust any of the finer settings or navigate your way around ipod playlists, or a USB drive the controls do seem a little counterintuitive - but again, it's something I've got used to now.
Cheers. .

I have the cd400 . I found it a hassle to get it to find the AM stations for me . There is also an INFO button but if l press it , it says NO INFORMATION , which is a bit , well , daft. .

Also , SRi model , but no spoiler at the back and no reversing sensors . .:'(

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts
Ah, the "Info" button is more useful on FM stations with RDS and DAB stations as they broadcast additional information like which song they're playing, what DJ is on this hour etc and the info normally comes up on that button.

As for the spoiler at the back and the parking sensors, I'm afraid those were both optional extras (which I didn't get either on my GTC). There are aftermarket spoilers you can get from Steinmetz and Irmscher if you fancy something different (although they're about £300 a pop last time I checked, unpainted without fitting) and parking sensors I think Nimraynn on here bought for about £13 on eBay if you wanted to add them in afterwards. As far as I know they're not a pain to fit, but you do have to take your bumper off and be brave with a drill! :lol:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AM Radio! what is this 1906!?! :p

sounds like you have the buttons that have no function, like on the H with the BC button
Often times , the fitba is on the AM station , very 20th centuary , but there you are old bean. .;)

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
parking sensors I think Nimraynn on here bought for about £13 on eBay if you wanted to add them in afterwards. As far as I know they're not a pain to fit, but you do have to take your bumper off and be brave with a drill! :lol:
Yep, £13 from a random shop somewhere, but they're exactly the same as the cheap eBay jobbies. Manual completely written in Engrish that resembles nothing to an actual car or parking sensor just for authenticity.

Easy enough to fit. Not sure if it's the same on the J, but the H has pre-marked drilling points inside the bumper for added ease (Y)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah, the "Info" button is more useful on FM stations with RDS and DAB stations as they broadcast additional information like which song they're playing, what DJ is on this hour etc and the info normally comes up on that button.

As for the spoiler at the back and the parking sensors, I'm afraid those were both optional extras (which I didn't get either on my GTC). There are aftermarket spoilers you can get from Steinmetz and Irmscher if you fancy something different (although they're about £300 a pop last time I checked, unpainted without fitting) and parking sensors I think Nimraynn on here bought for about £13 on eBay if you wanted to add them in afterwards. As far as I know they're not a pain to fit, but you do have to take your bumper off and be brave with a drill! :lol:
Ah now , I have noticed that I'm getting the dj info and sometimes the song info(on the crap channels that play crap music , mostly). .

I take it , the rear sensors hook up to canbus in some way. .

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine are just spliced into the reverse light wire and ground cable spliced into the ground cable on the rear lights. CANBUS has never complained about it on the H. :shrug:
Sounds simple enough , Mike. .but you have to take the bumper off , yes. .

1 - 20 of 125 Posts