Astra Owners Network banner

141 - 160 of 170 Posts

·
A.O.N. - T8oc.com owner of #17
132 Posts
Polish is used to remove imperfections in the paint & best results are achieved using a polishing machine.

Wax is used after polish to protect the paint & is best applied by hand using an applicator & buffed off with a plush microfibres cloth.
Awesome, you my friend can follow instructions! :lol:

Thanks

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,716 Posts
Really? You're spending too long on that then! Takes a couple of mins to apply, wait 10 mins then buff off. Leave it longer sometimes and do a second layer sometimes.
Do a panel at a time, takes about 15 minutes, giving 10-15 minutes to cure, while going onto the next panel then while it cures buff off the first panel.

·
Premium Member
23,527 Posts
Do a panel at a time, takes about 15 minutes, giving 10-15 minutes to cure, while going onto the next panel then while it cures buff off the first panel.
I'm curious how he does a full car that quick and what he's using it takes me just over half a hour with a spray sealant so spray on spread wipe off

·
Registered
963 Posts
I'm curious how he does a full car that quick and what he's using it takes me just over half a hour with a spray sealant so spray on spread wipe off
I'd just use SRP quickly, only takes 5 mins maybe to apply it over the car with an applicator then 10 minutes to buff off with a microfibre towel after waiting a while for it to dry/cure/go cloudy. I also then use FK1000P which is more or less the same, 5-10 minutes to apply it to the whole car, wait 10 minutes for it to cure then buff off with a microfibre towel. Normally do two coats of wax/sealant if I have the time and effort. Not sure how you guys can spend hours applying a wax and buffing it off, must get so boring :confused: unless you're super OCD about applying it to every single square mm of the car? I just do overlapping lines on the panel so you don't miss any bits and get the wax everywhere nice and evenly.

·
Premium Member
23,527 Posts
You do know srp is ment to be worked in its not a wipe on wipe off product

·
Premium Member
23,527 Posts
SRP is effectively a filler. Should be worked the same as a cutting compound. Perhaps not as aggressively, but it's the same concept. Certainly not a wipe on, cure, wipe off product.
What you using on yours these days

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
takes about 3 hours to do the following for me:

Wash with AG Bodywork Shampoo (2 bucket method)
Rinse
Dry with microfibre
Apply Super Resin
Buff with AG finishing cloth
Apply HD Wax (this doesn't play ball when buffing and seems to leave dark patches that take forever to even out)

Seem to get reasonable results without busting my bawz all day :rofl:

·
Premium Member
23,527 Posts
If its hard to buff the wax you're either applying too much or leaving it too long

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
If its hard to buff the wax you're either applying too much or leaving it too long
That's what i was thinking - but i use hardly any and leave it about 15 minutes :( it is just once you buff it it looks like there are dark patches on the car, maybe it is my paint :lol: it is in a sorry state which is why i am getting a guy to do a proper 2 day detail on it, needs a machine polish for sure.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
What you using on yours these days
Patented blend of neglect and bone idleness :rofl:

When I can actually be bothered I'm currently on a G3 Clay Mitt, Megs Polish, Poorboys White Diamond (or Diamond White), Dodo Juice Diamond White (or White Diamond) and a load of other bits and pieces of stuff. Have Black Hole and a Chemical Guys glaze I forget the name of I use from time to time.

·
Premium Member
23,527 Posts
Patented blend of neglect and bone idleness :rofl:

When I can actually be bothered I'm currently on a G3 Clay Mitt, Megs Polish, Poorboys White Diamond (or Diamond White), Dodo Juice Diamond White (or White Diamond) and a load of other bits and pieces of stuff. Have Black Hole and a Chemical Guys glaze I forget the name of I use from time to time.
I use a similar blend myself pal

I need to pull my finger out and get it corrected this year

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well I spent about 5 hours cleaning on Friday, here are the results :)

My method was:
Snow Foam
Rinse
Two bucket method
Rinse
Clay bar
Rinse
Wax
Seal

I used Juicy Detailing snow foam, Auto Glym car shampoo, Auto Glym wheel cleaner, Bilt Hamber clay bar, Chemical Guys black light and Chemical Guys hybrid v7 sealant and cleaner. I also used a Nilfisk C110.4 with a direct hoses snow foam lance.

What do you think? Be gentle :p

141 - 160 of 170 Posts