Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, ive replaced the standard bulbs with some 12v leds. problem is that when i put the car in reverse the bulbs flicker for a while, then sometimes stay lit other times they go out.

i had these same bulbs in my old focus and never had this issue with them before can anyone advice how to resolve this? do i need load resistors on an astra?

·
Registered
15,498 Posts
It's to do with the canbus system dude, due to the low load of the LEDs, the car thinks the bulb has blown so it cuts the power.

You'll need canbus compatible LEDs. (Y)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers fpr the replies, do you know what resistors i would need and should the be fitted in parrallel with the bulb or in series before the bulb?

·
Registered
918 Posts
So I'd need a set of them and a set in white for reverse lights? Thinking of tinting my tail lights so want to get some bright bulbs that will be able to shine through

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if i was to go down the route of adding resistors what ohm should they be? At £18 for a pair of canbus led's then im looking at £90 for brake, reverse, tail, fog and indicator lights so a few resistors is a cheeper method, especially as i already have all my old led bulbs still from my last car

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
What’s with wonting LED real bulbs?

You cannot tell the difference in the Astra rear light.

And like I said, if you use the correct tinting film, there is no loss of light, plus there 100% legal unlike all other tints.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Which canbus rear led's are the brightest? Does anyone know from experience as ive tinted and my normal bulbs are looking dim :eek:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Which canbus rear led's are the brightest? Does anyone know from experience as ive tinted and my normal bulbs are looking dim :eek:
On 1 January 2012, new rules were added to the current MOT by the Department for Transport (DfT) to comply with European testing procedures.

Products on the lens or light source that obviously reduce the light's intensity or change its colour will become a reason for failure – applies to front/rear position lamps, registration plate lamps, stop lamps, rear fog and direction indicators,

So if not the film I linked too it will not pass an MOT. Hope you have a spare set of tail lights.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
There are currently 2 different types of rear lights fitted to standard Astras. Those that are 'normal' like most of the range.......then those that are tinted as in my SRI and vxr's. Are you saying of the 2 different types then one will fail its MOT? Because my tinted ones have just passed. Also ive been doing quite a lot of research today and the law isnt totally clear on the subject. You CAN have heavily tinted rear lights [theres nothing saying you HAVE to be fitted with clear lenses] as long as amber/red/ white light is shown from the rear at the correct distance under the correct circumstance, braking, indicating, etc. All im asking is if someone on here uses rear LED's....which are the brightest to show through my new heavily tinted rears. Im pretty sure im not breaking any law as long as i show the correct light at the back of the vehicle. /B]

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
First OEM lights will always pass an MOT, if you use a tint film that changes the colure then yes

Example of a fail (led + dark tint)

Don't forget the LED's MUST be E Marked for them to be road legal

1 - 20 of 22 Posts