Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, my key broke this weekend after turning off the car at tesco. It looks like the mechinism where the key folds has bust, the bit that goes into the hole to start the car etc is all in one piece.

Before I ask vauxhall - do I need a whole new key fob - or would they be able to just replace the bit that has broken?

·
3,887 Posts
It depends what's broken and in what way - can you post a pic? I think I remember seeing something where somebody was able to take the electronics and blade out of a broken fob and place it into a new fob to solve worn out buttons or broken folding springs.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'll see if i can get a pic tonight. A bit flinged out when i pulled the key out so will see what i can do.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It depends what's broken and in what way - can you post a pic? I think I remember seeing something where somebody was able to take the electronics and blade out of a broken fob and place it into a new fob to solve worn out buttons or broken folding springs.
I've recently broken the keys to my GTC - the blade has come away from the plastic part (don't ask me how! :banghead:). The electronic part of the key remains in tact and I managed to pick up the one bit of plastic that broke off along with the spring and the metal button which also came off in the process.

At first I thought I'd try and glue it back together but I'm not sure if this is an option. Instead of forking out for a replacement, is there anywhere I can get a new fob/key shell to simply swap the blade and electronics into? Is it as easy as it sounds or is there more to it? I have the standard flick style 3 button key with the white symbols.

Any guidance much appreciated

·
AON Resident Cynic
14,669 Posts
If you're feeling plush get a new one from Vauxhall. If you're not then get a cheap shell off eBay and sway the innards yourself. I must admit I can't actually tell the difference in quality between the two on my H.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sounds like a bad batch of keys to me - surely the keys are under the lifetime warranty?
Erm I could try and blag it but to tell the truth, this was kinda self inflicted...

If you're feeling plush get a new one from Vauxhall. If you're not then get a cheap shell off eBay and sway the innards yourself. I must admit I can't actually tell the difference in quality between the two on my H.
My thoughts would be to go for the latter option as it is a lot more cost effective. However, I would like to get and official one or at least one that looks identical to the genuine set. Most on ebay are older style and look slightly different, any ideas where I can get the genuine/identical shells? The ones that look like the pic below:

http://shop.tmc-car-keys.co.uk/ekmps/shops/tyneside/images/opel-vauxhall-3-button-flip-remote-key-insignia-astra-j-2009-onwards--188-p.jpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm not being funny but how possibly could it be self inflicted..?
Well, you suggested it may be a manufacturing fault / down to faulty keys - it was simply my way of saying that it wasn't and the reason it broke was down to me / my clumsiness...

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Well, you suggested it may be a manufacturing fault / down to faulty keys - it was simply my way of saying that it wasn't and the reason it broke was down to me / my clumsiness...
Fair enough. I thought there couls have been more to it than that, i could understand a possibly a 5 door J key braking as they are older but the oldest GTC would be a year and you'd think a key would last longer than that, even with a few knocks :shrug:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure how far I would have got with, "oh it just snapped when I fired up the engine" on a 2 month old set of keys :sus:

I tried your link but theres nothing on that page, any chance you could resend?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure how far I would have got with, "oh it just snapped when I fired up the engine" on a 2 month old set of keys :sus:

I tried your link but theres nothing on that page, any chance you could resend?
I appreciate what you're saying but I would still be tempted to speak to dealer about it - you've got nothing to loose in a sense, just a thought :shrug:

Yeah course, sorry its me trying to be clever using hyperlinks :lol:

This?? :lol:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I appreciate what you're saying but I would still be tempted to speak to dealer about it - you've got nothing to loose in a sense, just a thought :shrug:

Yeah course, sorry its me trying to be clever using hyperlinks :lol:

This?? :lol:
True, I might give the dealer a go then. Like you say, the worst they can say is no...

Thanks for the link. I did see this the other day, but it still looks slightly different from the set I currently have. Where there is the button to open the boot, this is just a single button (I think - I cant check as I've left the broken set with a friend). The picture shows the button as two separate sections. On top of this, it doest have the logo on the front part of the key, but I guess this could be solved by using the front of my existing key shell which remains intact...

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
True, I might give the dealer a go then. Like you say, the worst they can say is no...

Thanks for the link. I did see this the other day, but it still looks slightly different from the set I currently have. Where there is the button to open the boot, this is just a single button (I think - I cant check as I've left the broken set with a friend). The picture shows the button as two separate sections. On top of this, it doest have the logo on the front part of the key, but I guess this could be solved by using the front of my existing key shell which remains intact...
No worries, let us know how you get on. I know there are other 2 button fobs on eBay too, jusy have a look, search astra MK6 / Insignia / Zafira and should find something ;) good luck (Y)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts