Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im changing the car again :L :lol:

Had the beemer nearly a year and a half now, although in reality it only feels like months. When it comes down to the crunch im basically looking for something faster, im looking to break the 200bhp mark, so that means my mapped 170 beemer just wont cut it. Dont get me wrong i love the car and think it looks well but you know how it is when you get something in your head :lol: We've been through some good times and some bad times but i think now is the right time to move on.

Looked at a 330d, seems to be the natural progression from my car but my insurance company wont even insure me on one until im 25 :sus: and other companies were going to charge me around £1500 :shock: So i've put it off a year.

So i went back to the drawing board and started scarring the autotrader and various other motoring websites and i came across one of these - a 2008 9-3 1.9 TTid 180. I rang up my insurance company and they are willing to insure the car for an additional £100 over my existing policy quote, which i thought was pretty reasonable considering it is 6 insurance groups higher than my current car. 'TT' standing for twin turbo, that certainly got my attention - I hadnt heard of a twin turbo mainstream saloon apart from the obvious 3/535d, most people know how they work in diesels - you have a small turbo and a large one, the smaller one for lower down the rev range then the large turbo takes over when you really are sending the car on, essentially meaning that turbo lag is almost unheard of. This makes for very rapid acceleration and the 9-3 delivers it in the only way i can describe - a punch to the face without asking permission :lol:

Its not only the engine that impressed me about this car, but also the style, it is a great looking car, especially in the Aero guise that i am after. Although the 9-3 is essentially based on the now obsolete Vectra Epsilon platform, it still looks fresh thanks to the mid 07' facelift which give the car a menacing appearance at the front and the LED strips at the top of the headlights make for a rather distinct and attractive feature. It looks even more like a figher jet than the old one did :D

I think the fact that Saab, as we know them have now gone, adds to the exclusiveness of the car, i mean i very rarely see these cars on the road, never mind seeing Aero versions. I like being different and anyone who knows me, knows that i dont really like to follow the crowd as such and this is very reminiscent of 'Saab Man' according to clarkson, he doesnt like to be brainwashed by the german competition. Also the fact that my parents have the Vector Sport version of the car, i know what to look out for and that they are a reliable and decent machine.

My plans for the car would be very simple, i wouldnt want to stray too much from the simple Scandinavian design - i think a new set of wheels, coilovers, window tints would complete the car, and of course a remap to 220/230bhp would bring it in line with the power of a 330d

Ive also just realised that my post has sounded like a car review although i didnt intend that - maybe i should reconsider my career path - but dont worry, im not going to become an Architect any time soon :p

·
Premium Member
59,287 Posts
Love these cars, especially as you say, with the facelifted front end and black eyes lights. I've always wanted one just so I could rebadge it from TTi to TiT and see if anyone notices :lol:

·
A dieselhead..
2,827 Posts
i like these too.. especially with the TT derv engine.. IIRC there is 3 engine powers with this engine, a 130 160 and 180..just make sure you get the 180 version as you said that will see 230bhp :D

But be carefull as you cannot block off the egr valve like you do with the single turbo 1.9's cause you will blow both turbo's going above 3k rmp!!

·
Registered
26,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i like these too.. especially with the TT derv engine.. IIRC there is 3 engine powers with this engine, a 130 160 and 180..just make sure you get the 180 version as you said that will see 230bhp :D

But be carefull as you cannot block off the egr valve like you do with the single turbo 1.9's cause you will blow both turbo's going above 3k rmp!!
Thanks buddy, yeah its the 180bhp version that i want :) and cheers for the advice, i didnt know you couldnt block off the egr on these

:lol: your geting worse then Andrew azbo :p
Maybe :lol:

Isn't the pictures a 9-5 though? :sus:
No, they are 9-3s for sure (Y)

·
Premium Member
59,287 Posts
I think the fact that the car in the middle pic has 9-3 on the reg plate is a bit of a giveaway personally....

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
after an increase in insuranc efor the saab plus the cost of a map then the rise in insurance for the map how much difference would there be?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts