Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening folks,

I have had this issue on my Astra H since I bought it. Have never had a problem with the battery itself, but the bolt on the bracket holding my battery in just spins and won't loosen off. The reasons I want it off are:

1. I want clearer access to my EGR valve for removal and cleaning
2. "Just in case..." if any issues pop up in future, I would like to be able to remove battery no bother

So, any comprehensive, definitive ways of removing the bolt when it just spins? And what is the best way to fix/replace it? On searching the forums and a wider Google search, it is easy to find a lot of vague instruction but nothing specific. "Use a bar/screwdriver to force it and pull battery at the same time!", "Stick a nut and washer on it, retaining screw!" etc, I am hoping for something a bit more professional than just brute forcing it, and some clearer instruction. I don't have access to any cutting or welding tools either.

I am under the impression this is a common problem, would like to hear anyone else's experiences and solutions.

Cheers,

Will

·
Registered
822 Posts
It's a knurled brass ferrule set in the plastic battery housing,
once the bolt seizes in and the ferrule starts turning that's it really,
i usually cut the bolt and deal with removing the ferrule on the bench.
Once you've done that you can use a 10mm bolt and nut to replace the ferrule,i do this by heating the nut and dropping on the the underside of the tray creating a partial trap nut,if you want to stop the nut dropping off every time you remove the bolt, just pop rivet a short 1 inch strip of ali with a 12 mm hole in the centre to allow the bolt to go right through.
I've drawn a pic to hopefully make it clearer but i'm really crap at drawing lol

Untitled.png

·
Registered
356 Posts
You undersell yourself as that is a great representation of what you mean but I believe the op does not have the tools to do it from his initial entry. But at least you have shown him a feasible and cheap solution.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Drill the bolt out. Hold it with some pliers if it won’t stop spinning. Then, get a new bolt and a new battery tray. All in less than £30. Just use some copper slip on the bolt before fitting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts