Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stuck in traffic jam stopping then moving and while sitting at traffic is it bad for the clutch or throw out bearings if you were waiting with the foot on the clutch and brake while the car is engage in 1st gear(you're not moving). I have been doing that for years.

I just came across since yesterday roads were closed due to a marathon race and I was stuck in traffic(moving and stopping) for about 1hour and a half:mad:. Most of the time I had my clutch depressed while 1st gear engaged and foot brake.

·
Premium Member
59,266 Posts
Everything is bad for your car, everything is broken, everything is expensive. Does that make you any less paranoid about every little thing about your car? :)
this ^^

Stop panicking, it's becoming tiresome. You may have noticed that the answers to your questions have become less serious because people can't be bothered any more.

The clutch is designed to be pressed. You can happily sit in traffic all day long with the clutch pressed without a problem.

Stop worrying about it and try driving it, you'll have much more fun that way

·
Registered
14,376 Posts
Everything is bad for your car, everything is broken, everything is expensive. Does that make you any less paranoid about every little thing about your car? :)
This would make someone more paranoid surely because if everything was bad and everything was broken and to top it off with everything being expensive then surely this must mean that he or she may have a curse upon them which would cause major paranoia anywhere and everywhere throughout daily activities, integration/society and life in general not just cars :D :lol:

But on a serious note don't ride the clutch for longer than you have to and you'll be fine. It's designed to take some wear just get off it as quick as safely possible but don't be afraid of it. Also don't keep your foot on it when cruising as sometomes without realising you are slightly pressing it as it is extremely sensuous.

However one thing I am intrigued about is the clutch being full depressed and held down... how bad actually is this and how much of the clutch is engaged in the sense that you wouldn't ride on biting point for long ideally as you'll wear it out but how about keeping it fully depressed compared to leaving it up?

Yes

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry guys, I asked because, my previous car was a clio and it would make a squealing noise and when you press in the clutch the sound stops like sometimes so I thought it was related to this.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
if you are stuck in traffic then you should put the handbrake on and in neutral, by keeping your foot on the clutch for extended periods will cause wear on the release bearing, and before the clutch is due for renewal. it doesn't cost you anything and will probably save you money

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,703 Posts
if you are stuck in traffic then you should put the handbrake on and in neutral, by keeping your foot on the clutch for extended periods will cause wear on the release bearing, and before the clutch is due for renewal. it doesn't cost you anything and will probably save you money
thats fine if your going to be stationary for long periods with the engine running, but in the real world, with stop starts driving, putting the car into neutral and applying the handbrake every few seconds is tedious and tbh a pita, not once during stop start traffic have i ever put the car into neutral with teh handbrake on as as soon as you do, you have to put the car back into first and move.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
I've been on holiday for 2 weeks, come home and you're still terrified of your car! Chill out man please! It won't kill your clutch doing it on one occasion but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts