Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on this problem. For the past year the car intermittently does not start on the 1st go - will just crank, but then will always start on the second go. Initially, it went into the garage, new battery, new spark plugs, new keys. It went to an auto electrician - fault could not be traced. There are no codes on my basic obd2 reader or on a pedal test. Looking through various forums, looks like there are a myriad of possibilities ranging from crank and camshaft sensors to ecu problems. The car runs perfectly apart from this one problem. It does feel like a binary problem - it either cranks and cranks and doesn't start and then will fire up on second go straight away. Or will start first time.FYI - I am a fairly new diy mechanic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on this problem. For the past year the car intermittently does not start on the 1st go - will just crank, but then will always start on the second go. Initially, it went into the garage, new battery, new spark plugs, new keys. It went to an auto electrician - fault could not be traced. There are no codes on my basic obd2 reader or on a pedal test. Looking through various forums, looks like there are a myriad of possibilities ranging from crank and camshaft sensors to ecu problems. The car runs perfectly apart from this one problem. It does feel like a binary problem - it either cranks and cranks and doesn't start and then will fire up on second go straight away. Or will start first time.FYI - I am a fairly new diy mechanic.
Hi Gareth, did you ever get to the bottom of the intermittent starting issue?
My Zafira 1.8 z18xer is giving me the same grief!
I’ve swapped the cam sensors x2 Delphi ones plus the crank sensor again a Delphi one, not an easy job that one!
New spark plugs
New battery
New coil pack
New oxygen sensor (bank one sensor one)
I’ve had an auto electrician look at it and can’t find any faults whatsoever.
He’s advised I remove the ECU and have it tested as it could be at fault which does make sense as it’s position at the top of the engine and overtime the constant heating/cooling could cause problems.
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Andy, sorry just googled this issues again and it reminded me that I posted this. The issues still remains and the only thing I tried is a new crank shaft position sensor which made no difference. My hunch is that is an ECU issue. Have you had any luck?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Andy, sorry just googled this issues again and it reminded me that I posted this. The issues still remains and the only thing I tried is a new crank shaft position sensor which made no difference. My hunch is that is an ECU issue. Have you had any luck?
Hi Gareth, I took the ECU off, sent it away and they swapped it for a fully refurbished, cloned ECU but unfortunately that didn’t cure it either.
I’m at a bit of a loss now. (This was on the advice of a Auto Electrician as he had it for a morning and could find anything wrong)
I have read that a guy had the same issue and swapped his fuel pump (on a vxr) and that cured it but that’s a big undertaking and expensive, especially if it doesn’t work!
I’m thinking along the lines of ignition switch or possibly the cam pulley as these are prone to wear on the keyway, it would be noisy tho as it would move side to side slightly.
Both are only hunches and I’m a little reluctant to spend anymore time/money.
will keep reading and trying and keep you informed.
Kind regards
Andrew

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Andrew, like you I am reluctant to spend more money on something that won't guarantee a fix. I will keep you posted to. I would like to sell the car at some point and want it to be fixed, I have now had the car a couple of years and it has never failed to start second time. The fact that it always starts second time makes me scratch my small mechanical brain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Andrew - did you have any more progress with this issue?
Hi Gareth, I’ve replaced the pre cat lambda probe since but that was more to get rid of my engine light that’s been popping on recently but still double starting, think I’m gonna look at ignition but not had time yet, will let you know what I change and if it makes a difference.
Thanks
Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts