Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright all,

Having sorted out the sus' on the van the next instalment of the aux belt woes thread begins.
To summarise the previous thread the aux belt was shot which was causing horrible noises. To sort this the aircon was deleted, all new pulleys, a new tensioner and finally the alternator pulley was stuck so I got the garage to bang a new alt' on it (I'd had enough by that point).
Since then the battery light has been on and off intermittently. Probably about 60% of the time it'll be on and then it'll turn off again for a bit until next time.

Battery seems to be charging fine despite this afaics though. Maybe slightly low but I think it looks within parameters. 12.3 ish at rest, 10.9 when starting and about 14 when running. I've checked continuity on the plug from the alternator to where they join the main bit loom down behind the engine and they seem fine. This has all been done with a pretty good multimeter but will get the battery checked by a free test garage when I go past one. I've also checked the battery posts and connections, cleaned them properly, likewise the earth strap under the battery tray.
Oh the belt is turning nicely and not slapping about as well.

So what am I missing? Anyone got any ideas? I'm reasonably handy with a spanner but 'leccy problems are my kryptonite.

The garage have said to bring it back in but I'd quite like to get it sorted myself because... money innit (they'll find something to charge for I don't doubt). It's booked in for next week but if I can get to the bottom myself before that it'd be better.

cheers in advance

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update.
You know the electrical hum that you get under the bonnet when you've just turned the engine off? Just realised that noise seems to be permanently present under there (car turned off 30+ mins ago). Using a screwdriver to listen to trace it it seems to be coming from the new alternator. I assume this would not be normal?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts