Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a rough guide to add bluetooth capability to your CDR500 (and other opel radios). The VDA adapter exists in most -if not all- opel cars. I've installed this in several Astra-G and Zafira-A and I noticed that in some models the microphone cable is missing. In my car it was installed - the top end was tied somewhere behind the interior light cabling. Anyway from the following pictures you will get the general idea.

After the installation the operation is easy. When you get a call the radio is muted and the telephone sound is heard from the car speakers. The MID shows either 'message' or 'phone' depending on the display type.

What you need:
a. I used nokia bt units. Most bt units will do.
b. VDA adapter cabling loom. I got this from some German online shop. There are 2 types, simple and amplified. The simple is most of the time needed. The amplified works but might distort sound.
c. If the interior light has space for the opel microphone get one - but you can always use the included with the bt kit -either by modifying the plug to fit the cable installed at the car or by using the supplied cable.
d. A special transformer that is installed at the fuse box. This interfaces the sound from the bt to the car radio.
e. A 10A fuse

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
First locate the VDA cable behind the glovebox - usually tied to some other cable using paper tape.

Install the bt unit on some space by the blower.

Connect the VDA adapter cabling and tie all together so they don't rattle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Next locate the microphone cable -if exists behind the interior light. Again notice the paper tape that is used to hold it together to some other car cables.

Make a small notch -if needed - to pass the flat control cable at some point around the interior light.

Install the microphone. The photo shows the original part that fits on a special place into the interior light.

Next pass the cable and install the control button. I do like to use the pictured position because is easy to reach but not easy to spot.

Finally install the transformer and the fuse at the correct places.

And marry your phone for testing the installation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Depending on the phone and bt unit your personal ring sound will be heard by the car speakers when the phone rings (the phone does not ring). I found some phone/bt combination don't do this. In that case the phone will ring in tandem with a default sound piped to the speakers by the bt unit.

When you enter the car while talking on the phone I find that automatically sound is transferred to the car speakers when I start the car. When you are engaged in a conversation and you switch off the car, the bt still stays active until you complete the call. (even if you remove the ignition key)

Most stock radios allow the piping of bt sound to the car speakers. We tested CDR, CCR and NCDR units. For aftermarket head units there is obviously different way of doing this.

By the way, is unfortunate that VDA is mono (monophonic) and not STEREO. Its fine for bt application but if it was stereo you could use this function to hook up e.g. a mp3 player.

Oh!, I forgot, the volume knob of the head unit (e.g. CDR500) controls the bt sound and that all this works even if the radio is turned off! (it powers up during bt use and goes to sleep soon after).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.