Astra Owners Network banner

Ignition barrel

2K views 13 replies 2 participants last post by  valer 
#1 ·
Evening everyone. I have a question. I had to replace the ignition barrel on my Astra g. Got the old one out easily. Exchanged tumblers so I could use original key. Then the problems began. The end of the new barrel is slightly larger than the hole in the ignition switch. I didn't realise this at first and thought it I'd change the outer part back to the original. Still not working as it should. But now I can't remove the barrel and sometimes the key gets stuck between position 1 and 2. Any ideas because I am totally stumped! Thanks in advance. Stu

#2 ·
If you've re-used the housing it could be worn where the tumblers run,this can cause sticking,
another possibility is the ignition switch starting to break up internally,
i must have changed hundreds of these barrels,keys and switches over the last 25-30 years and i always found it best to change barrel and switch together.

#11 ·
mmm,the keys do look slightly different to the usual,
have you checked there's not a part of the key head that slides or pivots out to take the chip,i have seen that before.
The feedback is good for the kit so there must be a way to change chips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.