Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I currently have a CD MP30 MP3 stereo in my astra. It has an AUX socket by handbrake but i want to connect an i pod wire so it sits in the glovebox

I was going to buy one of the leads off fleabay but at £40 a pop think its better to just upgrade the stereo altogether to a double din that already has the i pod connector

Anyone know of a decent double din stereo that'll do the job? Plus will the steering wheel controls work with it?

·
A.O.N - Club Member(Dean)
888 Posts
Go on eonon website. They'll sort you out. Best alternatives available mate

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice one. Just out of interest though if a kept the current stereo would the steering wheel controls work? I could use the AUX socket but it'll be to much faff wiring it up everytime. Just want it to sit in the glovebox on charge and then be able to select tracks from steering wheel

·
888 Posts
Alternatively buy an fm transmitter off eBay for like £3??

·
888 Posts
I'm not sure try asking stampede he's your guy for it as I don't want to advise u to buy something specific when im not 100% sure it's correct part

·
888 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry I didn't look properly I thought that was connector to back of cd. I use this http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=180963842786&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=27222951327
U can charge it through cig lighter so if want it in glove box just fit a cig socket in there
Dont want to use an FM transmitter. Want something wired into stereo. it'll also sound alot better. I just need an I Pod cable to come out of stereo into glove box. My mate has this in his civic type r

·
Premium Member
59,287 Posts
Ignore what has been said above, you cannot control the ipod via the steering controls.

A double-din unit from any major manufacturer will do the job, Kenwood or Pioneer would be my choice. You will need to purchase a fascia adaptor and the relevant wiring adaptors (budget an extra £80 for this) on top of the unit. The Eonon unit will never be as good quality as Kenwood, Pioneer, etc but does look more factory and doesnt need the fascia adaptor, etc

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What if the stereo has an AUX plug on the back though? I read it on another thread by Nimyrann. Im saying it will have it as its an 08 plate Astra plus it has an AUX plug by the handbrake. Surely its just a case of a wire from the back of the stereo to the ipod?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Ignore what has been said above, you cannot control the ipod via the steering controls.

A double-din unit from any major manufacturer will do the job, Kenwood or Pioneer would be my choice. You will need to purchase a fascia adaptor and the relevant wiring adaptors (budget an extra £80 for this) on top of the unit. The Eonon unit will never be as good quality as Kenwood, Pioneer, etc but does look more factory and doesnt need the fascia adaptor, etc
Hay-Men.

Would strongly advise against the Eonon, terrible head unit. Stick with quality branded unit’s like Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood etc. These run rings around cheap generic unbranded units like the Eonon, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To be honest ive always had branded makes myself. The Eonon looks a good bit of kit but like you said you get what you pay for!

Cheers for all your replies guys!

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
Hay-Men.

Would strongly advise against the Eonon, terrible head unit. Stick with quality branded unit’s like Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood etc. These run rings around cheap generic unbranded units like the Eonon, you get what you pay for.
While I agree you get what you pay for, I wouldn't start calling the Eonon terrible. For what you're getting, they are good value for money and they do the job. They may not perfect, far from being a refined unit, but they do the job.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
What if the stereo has an AUX plug on the back though? I read it on another thread by Nimyrann. Im saying it will have it as its an 08 plate Astra plus it has an AUX plug by the handbrake. Surely its just a case of a wire from the back of the stereo to the ipod?
if your talking about controlling the ipod from the aux plug i dont think that is at all possible if you want to use the std HU with the ipod get a desion kit and it is cheaper then the enonon and it also allows you to view artist and all the other info from the main screen. i have one and am very happy with it, plug and play install also you need to have a hu that has aux out for the kit to wok.

hears the link to the one i have

http://www.dension.com/product/ipod-car-adapter/ipod-iphone-auxin-id3/gateway-100

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another thing thats just come to mind. What about the 'BC' and 'Settings' button? I only know of the Eonon having this but what about other brands?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts