Astra Owners Network banner

How to: Replace the cabin air pollen filter in the Astra J

14K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  MusicLoverUK 
#1 ·
Introduction

A few people have talked about changing the pollen filter more frequently than Vauxhall's scheduled intervals to help with keeping humidity in the cabin to a minimum. It's also a good idea to check if there's any damp in your pollen filter as some MY10 and early MY11 cars have had issues with water dripping into the HVAC system from the wiper linkage. So while I was in for my first service I bought the pollen filter and here I have documented how to change it...

Disclaimer: As with all posts in this forum, all information is provided in good faith and no warranty is provided by the site or by me. Any work you undertake based on information in this thread is entirely at your own risk and neither I nor the site accept any responsibility for damage or injury to your vehicle or yourself resulting from using this information!

Parts Required

The filter for my MY11.5 1.7CDTi (125) SRi is part number 13271191. It may be different for other models, but your dealer will be able to tell you the correct one for your car. It cost ÂŁ18.30+VAT (ÂŁ21.96) at retail price or ÂŁ12.50+VAT (ÂŁ15) through Trade Club for AON Club Members.

Fitting

First of all remove the cover underneath the glove box. This involves removing one screw (7mm hex head) and two clips. I struggled to get the clips to release because it's not how you think! Depressing the tabs as you would expect (red arrow) does nothing, because the catch is actually on the opposite side (green arrow):

Now you need to remove this panel between the glove box and the passenger door:

First of all release it from under the rubber strip (the door weather seal), then pull it away from the glovebox. It's held in by three clips as shown here:

Now remove the glove box. It's held in by 4x 7mm hex head screws. As you withdraw the glovebox from the car, be careful of the wire for the courtesy light. Disconnect the wiring to the courtesy light once you can see it, then remove the glove box completely.

Behind the glove box you'll find the main parts of the ventilation system. There's a horizontal panel that opens to reveal the pollen filter. You need to unclip the clip at each side to open it as shown by the red arrows in the picture below (click on the picture to see a larger version):

You need to slide the filter out towards you. It's a bit tricky as there's nothing to get a grip on - you just have to sort of pry it out with a couple of screwdrivers or similar.

Push the new one in place, making sure the arrows showing the direction of air flow point downwards. Close the cover making sure it has closed securely with a good seal all round.

Re-fit the glovebox (don't forget to connect the courtesy light!), trim panel and underneath cover.

Job Done :) I hope that helps a few folks.

In case anyone is interested, here is a comparison of the new filter (left) with the original filter which had been in place for 1 year and 10,000miles. It's not a totally fair comparison because the two filters are from different manufacturers (Opel must have changed their supplier). The old one doesn't look too bad (and best of all it wasn't damp at all) but it's nice to have a nice clean one in there! Click on the images if you want to see them larger.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.