Astra Owners Network banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
I see where your train of thought is, but the key word above is SINGLE filament bulb. The bulb doesn't get brighter or have any more power running through it with full beams engaged, there's basically a small mirror that flips up behind it, or next to it or whatever it does to reflect more light higher up.

The light levels aren't increasing, just changing focus and being redirected. I hope that makes as much sense on here as it did in my head :)
Makes perfect sense now mate, ta.

I bought a 9006 5000k HID kit from Hids Direct http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANBUS-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-H1-H3-H7-H8-H9-H11-9005-9006-/220672732805?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D3109239107533466727%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D220672732805%26

The first thing to do is remove the bumper to aid the removal of the headlights

Remove 6 T20 screws on top edge of bumper and unclip the clip at each end of top edge

Then remove 4 T20 screws under each wheel arch

Then pull the top edge of the bumper where it meets the rear edge of the wing

It is possible to remove the headlight at this stage but its easier to remove completely to make access to the headlight bolts easier

There are 3 T20 screws on lower front edge of the bumper(for some reason the rear clips for my undertray were broken so it came away with bumper)

There are now 2 E12 bolts that need loosening no need to remove completely

Now disconnect the plug for the foglights/outside temp sensor

The bumper is now ready for removal so with some gentle pulling it'll be off

The next thing to do is remove the headlight bolts the easy ones first these are 7mm

The last bolt is a bit more awkward
First unclip the plastic bracket from the wing end

You'll then be able to see the last bolt

Unclip the headlight electrical plug

There are 2 plastic lugs under the headlight which can be pulled out carefully

The slowly remove the headlight from the car.

Now time to fit the new bulb, wiring and ballast
If you've bought a 9006 bulb then you need to trim the righthand tab to fit the 9012 holder do a small bit at a time until it fits correctly

Now you need to cut a 21mm hole in the twist off bulb cover and thread the wiring though ensuring the grommet is a good fit.(I bought 2 new caps from Vaux for £28) Remove your old bulb and insert the HID bulb and connect up the plug and refit the bulb cover.

I mounted the ballast on the underside of the headlight but you can place it somewhere safe and away from moisture.

If fitting underneath you need to modify the area where the OE ballast would fit

I used some double sided foam tape to hold the ballast in place

Now its time to refit everything the headlight is just a reversal of the removal process.

Now slide the bumper back on ensuring the the lower bracket fits onto the locating bolts

Tighten these bolts and reattach the undertray

Reconnect the foglight connector

Now clip in the bumper at the side

Now its just a matter of screwing the 4 underarch bolts and clipping the upper edge and refit 6 upper bolts.

Now enjoy the greater light output

Anyone else have a go at this ??? I hate my lights :-( ..... Bigal

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.