Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,

I've just fitted a backbox to my astra. It's a 1.8 SRI Y reg astra, but I believe that this will be the same for some other astras... Some astras have a different type fitting, usually the later models. Only way to find out is to look under the car! I did not jack up the car or anything.

So first off - if your car has this at the connection between the centre pipe and the backbox, then this should guide you in good stead. Otherwise, this will not apply to you! Sorry! (Top part of pipe is centre section, bottom half - backbox)

The parts you will need are:
New Gasket (if second hand)
WD-40
15mm Socket
File
Slotted screwdriver

Whilst I have attempted to make it as clear as possible, it is by no means a comprehensive guide, and I have only taken a few pictures. That said, it is relatively simple and you shouldn't have many problems.

1. Loosen the bolts, and then remove as illustrated:

If it is proving a bit difficult to loosen the bolts, I would suggest you spray some WD-40 on and leave for a bit before giving it another go. Once loosened, remove bolts and springs. (Picture is actually after, but it looks EXACTLY the same as before)

2. Remove backbox, along with the rubber supports at rearmost end, and leave the remaining support in place on the vehicle (3 in total, 1 on car, 2 on backbox). Transfer the two rubber supports to other backbox:

3. Now, with your backbox, if it's second hand like mine and some other people's, carry on. Otherwise go to step 6.

4. Remove old gasket on it - For this I used a screwdriver and file to get it off.
You might want to give it a brush down with a wire brush if there is a significant amount of rust. Take care not to get any particles in the backbox as this may damage the catalyst inside.

5. Fit new gasket:

6. Fit backbox in place with rubber supports in correct places, and ensure centre pipe meets backbox ok. (No pic, sorry!)
I found the best way was to slide the metal support without the rubber support into the one currently on the vehicle, and then bend the rubber supports currently on the backbox into place on the vehicle.

7. Refit bolts and springs - the threads are very fine, so I would recommend that if it starts to get quite stiff to tighten, and the bolts have not gone all the way in, spray a bit of WD-40 on it, leave for a few minutes, and tighten up. You don't want to strip the threads after all.

The end result:

And a before pic (a recent pic) for good measure :thumbs: :

If anyone feels that I have missed anything out, please tell me and I will edit this guide as appropriate. I hope you enjoyed reading it. This was my first time with exhaust related systems!

DISCLAIMER:

This "How to" is intended to be used as a guide to give you an idea as to how to carry out the same work on your own cars. The instructions above detail how I carried out the work on my own car and as each persons car, tools, level of experience and circumstances are different then the steps required to carry out the work will vary from person to person and therefore myself and this website cannot be held responsible for any loss, damages or injuries caused while carrying out the work. If you are unsure in any way as to how to carry out any of the work detailed above then consult a professional for advice or consider paying them to do the work. So take care while carrying out the work because YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Hi Scraggadoo

Excellent how too and exhaust looks great!! Cant believe you fitted it so quick! Car still lookin very shiney and even better with new tailpipe showing :thumbs:

(Sorry we had to dash off today Kev was doin diy jobs for his parents!)

:lol: like the disclaimer too....you're not training to be a lawyer are you? :lol:

Foxy :dance2:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
:lol: I wish! No I'm studying Chemical Engineering with Chemistry (a dual honours degree) so I don't have as much time on my hands as some other students do!

Anyway just slotted it in so that if anyone botches it up, and decides to blame me I can simply point them in that direction! ;)

Yep car looks good and didn't take very long at all! About an hour in total, cos I had to pop to vauxhall to get a new gasket.

Looks great now, so all I need are some bumper spoilers to complement the look of my new exhaust!

:thumbs:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Irmscher exhaust

I got it off Foxy, who's been on this thread as above ^^^

Like it? There's normally one popping up on ebay every now and then. You can get it brand new from here but its a bit dear brand new :(

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Just a quick note, there is no catalytic convertor in the backbox.
The catalytic convertors on a Z18 engine will be in the manifold and one just before the joint for the backbox. Same applys for the X18XE1 engine but theres no catalytic convertor in the manifold.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did notice there seemed to be a section in the centre pipe that seemed to be the catalytic converter, wasn't really sure of this 'til you posted that up on here, which just confirmed my suspicions! Thanks Browny_37 (Y)

EDIT: Sorry, just checked on the lmf vauxhall site... They do a remus performance centre section, and the 1.8 engine is included on it... There doesn't seem to be a cat section in there???

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
when i fitted mine i made sure that with thespringy bolts i undid them equally. if you dont do that then they can ping off.... so you do two turns on the left one then two turns on the right and so on....

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
when i fitted mine i made sure that with thespringy bolts i undid them equally. if you dont do that then they can ping off.... so you do two turns on the left one then two turns on the right and so on....
That never happens dude, they arent under that much tension, used to whizz them undone with an air ratchet one at a time ;)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, the bolts are long enough so that when it's about ready to come off, the springs are fully extended and not under compression anymore, so you've got nothing to worry about there, as Dazturbo6502 says himself!

·
Registered
353 Posts
On a X18XE1 Astra, the catalytic converter is the small "box" in the tunnel at the front, between the flexible joint under the engine sump and the centre silencer box in the tunnel further back.

When I replaced the backbox on mine the threads in the flange and on the bolts were so corroded that I had to drill out the flange a bit and use longer nut/bolts with a guess on the tension.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.