Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Car rolled today after leaving it for 2 minutes and did property damage as well as bumper damage.

Handbrake was not engaged to the highest position, just a regular pull, highest I now know is 10 clicks. Also now know to leave in gear.

Is that normal (10 clicks)? From what I understand handbrakes are now self adjusting so nothing I can do?

Rear pads look to have enough in them to not be deemed worn.

Vehicle is Astra 1.6 J 2010.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
Sorry should have included in OP, Astra 1.6 J 2010

Ill take photos tomorrow of my brake pads, and handbrake angle.

10 clicks is as high up as it will go.

The handbrake holds at about 6 I think. Ill check that tomorrow.

Still something is wrong that caused it to roll with the handbrake up.

Edit photos of pads and handbrake at 10 clicks

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,714 Posts
Ive mine set to be tight at around 3-4 clicks on both cars, but that just personal preference and how Ive been brought up around cars to have them set up that way, can still pull tighter to REALLY engage the handbrake but its engaged at those 3 clicks, but yeah, getting anymore than 6/7 clicks and it not feeling tight is a little excessive( also helps parking the car in gear should the handbrake fail the car still won;t move)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your pics aren't working for me
Should be working now.

Ive mine set to be tight at around 3-4 clicks on both cars, but that just personal preference and how Ive been brought up around cars to have them set up that way, can still pull tighter to REALLY engage the handbrake but its engaged at those 3 clicks, but yeah, getting anymore than 6/7 clicks and it not feeling tight is a little excessive( also helps parking the car in gear should the handbrake fail the car still won;t move)
Can the newer models be adjusted. Seen some videos and articles about the H generation but nothing on the J. Judging from your display pic that is.

I had the Astra g and that was a tight brake. Good old drum brakes.

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,714 Posts
yeah all can be adjusted, not sure how accessible it is, but normally on Vauxhalls and most cars with rear disks there's an adjustment screw/ nut on the crank handle for the handbrake leaver underneath the trim.

·
Registered
12 Posts
On the MOT last year, I received an advisory saying "Excessive Handbrake Lever Travel" or words to that effect.

The tester then seemed to contradict himself to me by saying that "every one of these Astras he has tested" the lever comes up too far.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah all can be adjusted, not sure how accessible it is, but normally on Vauxhalls and most cars with rear disks there's an adjustment screw/ nut on the crank handle for the handbrake leaver underneath the trim.
thanks for that. Ill look for it on the J. The manual guide posted above makes no mention of the adjustment at the handbrake, just at the calliper. Ive had my drive redone and its on a slope now so can't jack on both sides of my car anymore!

Here is the manual for how to adjust http://workshop-manuals.com/vauxhall/astra-j/brakes/park_brake/repair_instructions/handbrake_adjustment_manual_parking_brake/

Keep in mind that other users of the forum have had issues with the self adjusting system failing also
Thanks for the guide. Now that I know I'm not wrong, I may take it to the dealers to maybe have a deeper look and answer for why their self adjusting system is a piece of rubbish!

Will also fill out the VOSA safety warning form.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On the MOT last year, I received an advisory saying "Excessive Handbrake Lever Travel" or words to that effect.

The tester then seemed to contradict himself to me by saying that "every one of these Astras he has tested" the lever comes up too far.
Did you have yours sorted on the J? If so what did you do, how much? etc Would like to know.

·
AON - Administrator
59,287 Posts
Well it kind of is.. if every car has it then its a characteristic not a fault. Remember, what one tester may deem excessive another might say is ok.
No, it is a fault. If it can be adjusted in to a normal operating range that no tester would consider excessive it is faulty and can be repaired. For it to be a characteristic it would have to be true of all Astra J's and happen from the factory which it certainly does not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No, it is a fault. If it can be adjusted in to a normal operating range that no tester would consider excessive it is faulty and can be repaired. For it to be a characteristic it would have to be true of all Astra J's and happen from the factory which it certainly does not.
Finally remembered to count the clicks... Would you say 6 clicks was "excessive travel"??? I certainly wouldn't.

·
AON - Administrator
59,287 Posts
I personally would consider anything above 3 to be excessive. I wouldn't say it was unsafe however

1 - 20 of 21 Posts