Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been a while since i posted on here ,been real busy ,but thats not the issue .curious to know would you trade a car ,ie px,knowing it had problems ,thus financial loss ,or say nothing ,knowing how much over priced dealers price"s are ,and no i aint flogging .......

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not pointless to me .everbody tells white lies at some point do they not.as in start thread ,only curious ,and by the way im very very honest ,thanks .oh aint you the guy with very smokey motor?...if so .join the club .

·
Registered
918 Posts
I personally wouldn't be that honest, they usually grossly undervalue the car when taking part exchange. If it was a private sale, I would be honest and have been in the past but wouldn't be so when p/x

·
Premium Member
23,527 Posts
As said above a private sale I would tell them the faults trading in to a dealer I wouldn't tell them anything

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
Depends what tbh.

My last car had the wiring loom catch fire and burnt out half the loom. It was repaired professionally and was working fine without any issues... But when I came to sell it, I kept that quiet when I part ex'd it. Didn't really cause any problems and didn't expect it to, but could've been something that might've causes a drop in price...

That said, it's the only car I've ever sold/part ex'd as it was my first car and my current is the one I part ex'd it for... :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
496 Posts
To be honest, if it was to a trader, it is up to them to find the faults so I would be happy revealing as little as possible. But I would be completely honest if selling private.

(PS. car is less smokey since popping the swirl bar back on - lets see how long to stays on!!!)

·
Registered
40,498 Posts
As said above a private sale I would tell them the faults trading in to a dealer I wouldn't tell them anything
This!

Just think how you would feel buying a car privately and found out later the seller had hidden all kinds of faults.

Karma soon catches up with you.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Drove my 52 plate golf to the car dealer to trade in for my Astra - the golf radio was knackered, it struggled to start and the brakes hardly worked.
They gave me full asking price without even starting it :D

My mate had a A3 - gearbox was battered and hardly went into gear, same thing they checked it over without driving it and gave him £2k.

They don't ask - I don't tell.

Private sale = I am as honest as I can be.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cheers to all who replied ,no my car aint for sale ,and if i was selliong ,id say nothing to the trade ,only confess to private seller .

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Drove my 52 plate golf to the car dealer to trade in for my Astra - the golf radio was knackered, it struggled to start and the brakes hardly worked.
They gave me full asking price without even starting it :D

My mate had a A3 - gearbox was battered and hardly went into gear, same thing they checked it over without driving it and gave him £2k.

They don't ask - I don't tell.

Private sale = I am as honest as I can be.
Mine went in cracked inlet manifold, burning oil and possible coolant, leaky slave cylinder (i think, clutch was horrid cold) and a good bit of other wee details needing sorted. Guy drove it for 2 mins (warmed as i drove in) asked why i had a back box on, said it would come off for my new astra and asked if the tires were legal, said yes as technicaly they were... Just! Lol. Got £4k, 2 weeks later sold for £6500, £500 more than i paid a year and 20k before! Cheeky gits!

Had it been a private i would have said the important parts like the clutch and inlet. Up to them to check tires etc

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
same as when i traded in my astra had numerous faults which i got quoted 1400 to repair traded it in and got top top whack 1800 for it there problem

·
A.O.N. - Platinum Member
38,432 Posts
I personally tell the truth all the time,

Being a 6'2" millionaire who is a fine upstanding pillar of the community, it would be classed as bad mojo if I ever lied

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
i think it depends whats wrong with it.

as a general rule if it was a private sale id tell them as they know where i live :lol:

if its a trader i wouldnt say a word.

obviously there are exceptions to this, as mat says i would leave it to them to check the tyres etc and my old astra which i sold private needed a new exhaust but as this is a "perishable" item i decided not to tell him. if it had been something serious what could of been hugely costly i would of told them.

another example is my uncle mentioned he is selling his alfa as its due a cambelt change which on the 159 is an engine out job. I would mention the cambelt may need replacing soon but would not mention the fact its a 2k job because as i see it its there responsibility to research the car they are buying

·
A.O.N - Club Member
531 Posts
This!

Just think how you would feel buying a car privately and found out later the seller had hidden all kinds of faults.

Karma soon catches up with you.
Agreed! my last car i was told by a different garage had been clocked, but i didnt believe them and i thought they were pulling my leg! (it was in west london :p) so i went to a different garage, didnt tell them this and let them find out if it was true. apparently it was as it sold at auction, then was refused as it had done over double the mileage :eek:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts