Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

can someone explain how the Hill Start Assist is supposed to work?

I have 12 plate Astra active that had hill start assist listed as standard but when I am on a hill it just rolls back when releasing the foot brake?

Isn't it supposed to stay on for another 2 seconds to prevent you from rolling back?

Confused :)

Thanks

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
The hill start will only work if the car is in 1st gear, the clutch is fully pressed down, then release the brake and it stays for 2 seconds, or if you pull away it releases. TBH I found it strange to get used to, but now its a very handy thing to have.

James

:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Got questions over this myself!

Had HSA on my Corsa VXR and worked perfect, although it doesnt appear to be on the Astra - Unless it works differently! Had a busy weekend, so havent had chance to look into it.

If it helps - On the VXR, you just had to firmly press on the brake pedal. The car would not then move backwards for two seconds. Nothing had to be switched on or anything like that.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The hill start will only work if the car is in 1st gear, the clutch is fully pressed down, then release the brake and it stays for 2 seconds, or if you pull away it releases. TBH I found it strange to get used to, but now its a very handy thing to have.

James

This is incorrect.
Hill start assist only works from the brake pedal and the tilt angle the car is on. Irrespective of gear or clutch depressed.

Does your Active have a manual hand brake? I'm sure HSA is only in conjunction with the elec parking brake.
There are no options to switch on or off HSA.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i've found my hsa to be a hinderence especially seen as i have the electronic hand brake (which is brilliant, much better than parents bmw one) all as it seems to ever do is every so often when your on a hill unexpectedly let the car rock between the foot brake to the parking brake, it also fails to release sometimes when pulling away when the parking brake already has released, wish it didnt have it to be honest. Maybe theres a software update for it when it goes in for first service

·
3,902 Posts
As has been said, you only get HSA with the electronic hand brake - not sure if the "Active" edition has the electric park brake or the manual (traditional) hand brake.

I think it is dependant on being in gear. I say this because (if I recall correctly) when facing uphill, it will activate HSA if I am in first gear, but not in reverse. Likewise when pointing downhill it won't activate in 1st gear, but it will activate in reverse gear.

Mine is an MY11.5 - there could be differences between model years perhaps.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just looked at the online brochure for the Active, and no it does not have electric parking brake, so should not have hill start assist.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But if you look at the spec it does say it has HSA - hence the confusion. I will try with first gear and pedal brake and see

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think it is dependant on being in gear. I say this because (if I recall correctly) when facing uphill, it will activate HSA if I am in first gear, but not in reverse. Likewise when pointing downhill it won't activate in 1st gear, but it will activate in reverse gear.

Mine is an MY11.5 - there could be differences between model years perhaps.
It has nothing to do with gear selected. It will activate HSA in neutral if on a slope. Ive had 4 of these cars from sept '10 to present and each and every one has worked the same way.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
This is incorrect.
Hill start assist only works from the brake pedal and the tilt angle the car is on. Irrespective of gear or clutch depressed.

Does your Active have a manual hand brake? I'm sure HSA is only in conjunction with the elec parking brake.
There are no options to switch on or off HSA.
Well thats not how it works on my Insignia. :s ........ I can fully press the brake and then release again and the car will imediatly roll backwards. Only when I have selected 1st gear and pressed the clutch do I get the HSA . Maybe the Astra system is different.

James

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,716 Posts
Am sure it goes by the hill gradient, or at least it seems that way in the H, but as Jim says it only seems to work in first, with the clutch fully depressed and the foot brake on. pretty sure it also works with reverse as there have been times reversing out of my drive that the car hasn't rolled forwards. Not sure if the J has a similar system.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well thats not how it works on my Insignia.
Maybe the Astra system is different.

James

As i said above, i've had 4 of these and none required a selected gear or the clutch being down. I'd be surprised if your insignia was a different set up but stranger things have happened.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hill Start Assist (HSA) only works with models that have an electronic parking brake (EPB). From MY2012 only SE, SRi and Elite models come with EPB as standard, and thus HSA.

Hill Start assist (HSA)

The hill start assist allows the driver to launch his vehicle without a roll back while he is moving his foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal. The Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) calculates the brake pressure, which is needed to hold the vehicle on an incline and locks that pressure for a certain time (up to 2 seconds) by commanding the appropriate solenoid valves ON and OFF when the brake pedal is released. Hill start assist is activated when the EBCM determines that the driver wishes to move his vehicle up/down-hill (gradient 5% or more).
HSA maintains the brake pressure for a short period after the brake pedal has been released. The pressure is released as soon as the driver presses the accelerator and the car begins to move.
The following inputs are used for hill start assist feature:
• Brake switch
• Brake pressure
• Longitudinal acceleration
• Engine torque
• Reverse gear information
• Clutch switch
• Accelerator pedal position
• Vehicle speed

note: HSA should not activate if a forward gear is selected and the vehicle is facing down-hill. HSA should not activate if reverse gear is selected and the vehicle is facing up-hill.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hill Start Assist (HSA) only works with models that have an electronic parking brake (EPB). From MY2012 only SE, SRi and Elite models come with EPB as standard, and thus HSA.

Hill Start assist (HSA)

The hill start assist allows the driver to launch his vehicle without a roll back while he is moving his foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal. The Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) calculates the brake pressure, which is needed to hold the vehicle on an incline and locks that pressure for a certain time (up to 2 seconds) by commanding the appropriate solenoid valves ON and OFF when the brake pedal is released. Hill start assist is activated when the EBCM determines that the driver wishes to move his vehicle up/down-hill (gradient 5% or more).
HSA maintains the brake pressure for a short period after the brake pedal has been released. The pressure is released as soon as the driver presses the accelerator and the car begins to move.
The following inputs are used for hill start assist feature:
• Brake switch
• Brake pressure
• Longitudinal acceleration
• Engine torque
• Reverse gear information
• Clutch switch
• Accelerator pedal position
• Vehicle speed

note: HSA should not activate if a forward gear is selected and the vehicle is facing down-hill. HSA should not activate is reverse gear is selected and the vehicle is facing up-hill.
Thanks Rob, I understand what you are saying but then Vauxhall does false advertising, if you go to the link below and choose my model the 'Active' it clearly says:

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vehicles/vauxhall-range/cars/new-astra/configurator.html#/trim

Safety & Security
Electronic Stability Programme (ESP) with Hill Start Assist (HSA)
Emergency tyre inflation kit
Manual parking brake
Remote control central deadlocking (doors, tailgate, fuel filler flap)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, update, just spoke to the main Vauxhall customer services and they confirmed that my particular vehicle does not have HSA built in, I asked the the Client Service guy to the VX website configurator and they had a look and were shocked to see that HSA shoul dbe on my my as per configurator.

So they have raised a ticket and will investigate if it this can be enabled or retrofitted free of charge , they seem to be baffled too by this false advertising issue.

Lesson here is - check EVERYTHING on your new car - do not trust the dealer that it will be as on VX website

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The current brochure says it shouldn't have it. I would assume the site listing is just an error, or a very very recent change.
that's what the Customer service chap said that one should look at the brochure not the online configurator.

In my opinion this is pants though - how can an instant medium like a website be slower to change than a brochure that needs designing and printing and distributing... I am really not happy about this. Other wise I would have gone for the Sri without the added stuff that the Active was 'advertised' as having. and only for a grand more

1 - 20 of 27 Posts